Question about gimbal bellow

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to put together my Mercruiser Alpha One 2nd Gen. and I replaced the gimbal bearing, I need to know if the aluminun ring that comes with the gimbal bellow goes on the rear of the bellow or if it goes on the inside of the bellow from front to rear.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Question about gimbal bellow

According to the manual the aluminum ring num. 16 goes into the bellow from rear to front. I spent 3 hours trying to do this and it is impossible. I tried to put it on from the inside of the bellow front to rear and it fits. Is this the way it goes?

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nevermind it goes on the way I was trying to put it on. I guess I'll have to try to find the tool to put it on. Thanks for the help.

delta1

Seaman Apprentice

Some folks recomend spraying PowerTune on it then sliding it in, you may need to tap it in. The powertune will evaporate after awhile.

victorc1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay another day wasted, I tried to put it on using a 3" pvc 40sch tube which fits in perfectly and the only thing that happens is the bellow keeps coming out of the groove. I can't figure it out, if I put the ring inside the bellow and slide it back over the bellow it fits perfectly.

xltier

Chief Petty Officer

Okay another day wasted, I tried to put it on using a 3" pvc 40sch tube which fits in perfectly and the only thing that happens is the bellow keeps coming out of the groove. I can't figure it out, if I put the ring inside the bellow and slide it back over the bellow it fits perfectly.

you can buy the tool thru a napa store that carries sierra marine.or on line.they r not that expensive.it drives them in in about 30 seconds.just make sure you got the groove seated all the way around.i use a little amour all.makes things slide good.