Question about fuse on a evinrude 85hp

swmarsh

Cadet
Hello everyone,
I picked up a 16' starcraft super sport with a evinrude 85hp model #85093b.
I was told that the ignition box is new and plugs + wires. The prev owner told me that it would run for a few then blow the fuse. Does this sound like a grounding problem. I am new to this boating thing so bear with me.
Thanks everyone.
Steve Marsh

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Question about fuse on a evinrude 85hp

it sounds like a wiring problem. the fuse is only for the starting circuit, and trim n tilt.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

it sounds like a wiring problem. the fuse is only for the starting circuit, and trim n tilt.

Actually, 85093 is a 1970 and the fuse does feed the Motorola Amplifier ignition as well as the usual start and choke functions. No matter, bottom line still is that there is a short circuit somewhere. It's going to take some detective work to find it.

swmarsh

Cadet

Thanks Guys. I believe I have found it. Another question. I have been lurking around the forums here and on the net. My motor has the electric shift. Someone installed a 3 position pull switch. The motor is in forward gear when starting. I can switch to neutral, forward, and reverse. I want to be able to set it back to origional 3 button with the safety neutral. Where and how can I do this.
Thanks
Steve

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the switch you have is probably bad, NLA, watch ebay.