Question about Evinrude 15

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Evinrude 15HP tiller on a 14' fishing boat. The motor is clean as a pin and runs like a top. Since I've owned it (bought it last summer), it is really tough to get started when I launch it (cold). After it has been run, it will start on the 1st pull everytime warm. I replaced the plugs (tho the old ones looked fine), decarboned last fall, and choke is working correctly. I squeeze the bulb till hard, twist thottle to start position, pull choke and begin the "workout". It usually will "try" to hit on the 2nd or 3rd pull but nothing after that till it finally does fire. One thing I might add is the "base" setting for the low speed mixture on this motor is 1 and a half turns out, mine is set and idles best at 3/4 turns out. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about Evinrude 15

You might rotate the low speed knob counterclockwise as far as you can go & try that for starting. Then move it back to your regular setting.

Also you might try to advance your twist grip throttle setting to a bit higher speed.

jmendoza

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 15 was hard starting when cold, and it was because it had poor crankcase compression due to the engine having been overheated and seized, but it ran fine one started and I lived with it for 20 years that way. It would break a pull rope and starter spring every 5 years or so. Top end compression was fine, but the engine used alot of fuel. Once i swapped the power head for a used one in pristine condition, the engine starts much easier and gets better gas mileage, but the power is about the same.

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I wouldn't say it uses alot of fuel, I can fish 2-3 days on a 6gal. and thats running 6-8 miles + out and back + some trolling. Gonna try machinists suggestion and see if that helps?

kbait

Commander

If choke handle is installed upside down it won't quite close the choke butterfly when choke is engaged. The wide slot side goes up. If it's upside down, it'll eventually start after 20 or 100 pulls..

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE: Took it out today, and when I got to the ramp and put it in, I set the throttle to start (did set the twist grip to a slightly higher speed), Squeezed the bulb (half squeeze and it was hard), Didn't pull the choke or richen the mixture, pulled it twice and on the second pull it wanted to fire, pulled the choke half way out and it hit on the 3rd pull. Immediatly pushed the choke in running and all was good... I'll take 3 pulls on a cold motor any day! So I guess these motors are really all different in what they need to start cold and I was previously "flooding" it? Thanks again for the help.