Question about beef turning brown

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
When you buy beef at the supermarket and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days, it will get brown areas.<br /><br />Why does it turn brown?<br /><br />Does this mean the meat is bad?<br /><br />Ken

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Question about beef turning brown

If the meat is relatively fresh, like being refrigerated for only a couple of days, and it's still sealed, it's OK.<br />I think (my opinion only) on why it turns brown has to do with the blood leaving certain portions (notice there's more blood in the tray?).<br />Now if you had said you left it on the countertop for a week and wanted to eat it, I'd have to say, "Don't! or you'll..."<br />
10_2_10.gif

aspeck

Staff member

All part of the aging process. The best beef is aged beef. It will tend to be a bit darker (brown) than other meat. Actually the bacteria is starting to break down the muscle (ie, rot) and the blood is leaving the meat. If you have to scrape a little mold off your venison when you go to cut it up, that is good. If it smells bad, that is bad. Smell is a better gage than looks.<br /><br />Aged meat will be more tender and have better flavor. Smelly meat will make you sick.

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

Brian, That is real disgusting, but cute. Reminds me of my old drinking days.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I always keep my New Yorks till they turn brown. Drives my wife nuts. Any meat expert will tell you that the best steaks are aged much longer than the FDA recommends. Keep em cold, and like aspeck says,"cook em b4 they get smelly"

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> I always keep my New Yorks till they turn brown. Drives my wife nuts. Any meat expert will tell you that the best steaks are aged much longer than the FDA recommends. Keep em cold, and like aspeck says,"cook em b4 they get smelly"
YUP it drives Mrs.Link nuts also. :D :D

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

bright red blood flows from the heart in arteries. it is rich in oxygen it darkens as it progress thru the system as oxygen is depleated.<br /> thus when your hemroids bleed it is bright red, when your stomach bleeds its dark. <br /> as your beef ages it consume oxygen and the brightness dims.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by wajajaja:<br /> .....thus when your hemroids bleed it is bright red, when your stomach bleeds its dark.
mmmm mmmmmm mmmmm. Light up the Barbee!, my taste buds have been stimulated. :p

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I normally have the vet check for signs of life before I take the t-bone off the grill... :) <br />I like it rare

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I want my steaks to kick me when I walk behind them too

bubbakat

Captain

Yea wipe its butt and kick the horns off it and throw it on the grill. 5 min. stick a fork in it and if it moos turn it over for another 5 min.<br />Pour a little black coffee over it and slice and dice. :D

tylerin

Commander

Just bring mine back to body temperature :)