question about bayliner 185 and watersports

mikemerrill50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a general question for you all. i personally do not ski, but i have friends and family members who do (and i want to get into it). i'm looking at getting a bayliner 185 18ft with the mercury i/o with 135hp. i read that it gets on plane in 4.7 sec. and goes 0-30 in 7.2 sec.
for those who know by reading those numbers, and especially those who own this boat, is this be adequate enough to pull a slalom skiier of any size, intertube, wakeboard, etc.? i'm not trying to compare this to a $60k wakeboard boat, of course.

thank you very much!

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer
Re: question about bayliner 185 and watersports

Little too low on power especially if you have more than you and the spotter on board. if you have 4-5 people on board and try to tow forget it. you may do a tow tube easy but a skier no
Rob

45Auto

Commander
Re: question about bayliner 185 and watersports

I have an 18 foot Bayliner with a 120 Force. We usually have 6 or 7 people on board and out of this group we normally pull 2 wakeboarders at the same time time, 2 skiers at the same time, 3 kneeboarders at the same time, or 3 on a big tube. No trouble at all getting them up. Usual load is 2 adults and 4 or 5 college kids so average weight is probably 140-160 lbs. We did have one kid, 6'6", 280 lbs, fat - no muscle, that we couldn't get up a couple of summers ago. Just kept pulling the rope out of his hands. Don't know if the boat couldn't pull him up or he just didn't have the arm strength to pull his own weight up.

I've attached a pic of 2 of the girls on kneeboards, tried to attach a video of pulling up 2 of the guys on wakeboards but it wouldn't let me.

45Auto

Attachments

• DSC01632.JPG
    DSC01632.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 0