Quantas Airlines

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Quantas Airlines<br /><br />After every flight, Quantas pilots fill out a form, called a "gripe sheet," which tells mechanics about problems with the aircraft. The mechanics correct the problems, document their repairs on the form, and then pilots review the gripe sheets before the next flight.<br /><br />Never let it be said that ground crews lack a sense of humor. Here are some actual maintenance complaints submitted by Quantas' pilots and the solutions recorded by maintenance engineers.<br /><br />By the way, Quantas is the only major airline that has never had an accident.<br /><br />(P= The problem logged by the pilot.)<br /><br />(S= The solution and action taken by mechanics.)<br /><br /><br />1. P: Left inside main tire almost needs replacement.<br />S: Almost replaced left inside main tire.<br /><br /><br />2. P: Test flight OK, except auto-land very rough.<br />S: Auto-land not installed on this aircraft.<br /><br /><br />3. P: Dead bugs on windshield.<br />S: Live bugs on back-order.<br /><br /><br />4. P: Number 3 engine missing.<br />S: Engine found on right wing after brief search.<br /><br /><br />5. P: IFF inoperative.<br />S: IFF always inoperative in OFF mode.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quantas Airlines

Oh that's good, lol. :D

achris

More fish than mountain goat

P. auto-pilot behaving badly<br />S. Auto-pilot told to buck up its ideas.<br /><br />And a few more I have forgotten.<br /><br />And for you really bright people, What does 'QANTAS' stand for?<br /><br />Chris.............

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Chris<br /><br />Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd.<br /><br />Does this mean I can call myself officialy "Bright"

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Originally posted by RPJS:<br /> Hi Chris<br /><br />Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services Ltd.<br /><br />Does this mean I can call myself officialy "Bright"
Sorry, wrong answer. <br /><br />Q*eers And Nymphomaniacs Trained As Stewards. :D :D

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> By the way, Quantas is the only major airline that has never had an accident.<br />
just because the rainman said it don't make it true. ;) <br /><br />They have had accidents but the've never had fatalities.<br /><br />Aldo

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day<br />Bob as you may have noticed, there is no U in Qantas, some early computers had problems with this. The spell checker kept putting in the U,

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

originally posted by achris:<br /><br /> Sorry, wrong answer. <br /><br />Q*eers And Nymphomaniacs Trained As Stewards. <br />
Could apply to any airline

Tinkerer II

Cadet

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br />
Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> By the way, Quantas is the only major airline that has never had an accident.<br />
just because the rainman said it don't make it true. ;) <br /><br />They have had accidents but the've never had fatalities.<br /><br />Aldo
I think the other great claim is that they've never lost an aircraft, which is defined as damaging it beyond repair. I think this led in one case, maybe the Bangkok crash (runway overshoot?) some years back, to Qantas spending a ridiculous amount of money to repair a craft that by usual standards was beyond economic repair.<br /><br />They've actually had fatalities, just not human ones. They got done for animal cruely a few years back when 60 to 70 deer died in the hold of one of their aircraft after panicking in their cages or something. Maybe the in-flight movie was responsible: The Deer Hunter (I made the movie up - the rest is true.)

Dunaruna

Admiral

I forgot about the deer incident :eek: <br /><br />Didn't an engine fall off during take off on Hamilton Island? Seem to remember something like that being hushed up a while back. <br /><br />Aldo

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Southwest Airlines has never had a fatality. I don't believe they've damaged an aircraft beyond repair, either.<br /><br />American Eagle has had two deer strikes in 20 years, both on runways in Florida. Also lost a passenger loading door on takeoff at 300 feet over Chicago.