Quality by Era

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice
Did the era that motors were made have a difference in their quality?<br />ie: 70's merc vs OMC<br /><br />Was there a drop off in the "modern" era (late 80's into the 90's)?<br /><br />Were there really good old days?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Quality by Era

As I undrestand it.. anything 60's or above has a chance of being a long laster.. <br /><br />The problem was the occasional bad model design.. and that was not limited to one era or one brand..<br /><br />All of them have made keepers and most have made boat anchors...<br /><br />Why do you ask???<br /><br />rgds <br /><br />Franki

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Later 90's OMC would be better avoided on certain models, too.

Scotty Van

Seaman Apprentice

I ask because, being a cheap skate, I am looking at a well maintained 20 hp merc (73) and don't want to be stuck pumping money instead of boating fish.

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I run a '70 merc 50hp. It's a good motor. It all depends on how much this one your looking at has been run and how its been treated. My motor hardly had any hours on it when I got it even as old as it is. The thing I like about old motors is that you can spend a little money and fix most things yourself. Rebuilding them isn't even that expensive compared to new engine prices.<br /><br />If you buy it, I would replace the impeller right off. Other motors of that era that I've seen like impellers that sre in good shape.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Riley,<br /> About the only thing to watch for on those 20s is (and I'm not sure of the cutoff) earlier ones have carbon steel driveshafts that are prone to rust, usually just below the waterpump cup at the top seal. Later ones have stainless shafts and no issue with that... Easy enough to check when you get the impeller out...<br />- Scott

D

DJ

Riley,<br /><br />I'm with Chinewalker on this one. I've seen alot of the Merc's of that vintage with the driveshaft rust problem.

BillP

Captain

If I had to make a broad sweep of 70s Mercs vs 70s OMC I would have to say OMC was better by a long shot, no mater which size your bought. It could be said this way...speed for merc and omc for reliability. I owned both brands back then and own both brands now. Merc is still my 2nd choice.<br /><br />I don't know about 70s merc drive shafts but OMCs had chrome on the shaft where the seal rides at the waterpump. Water sits there and can cause the chrome to pit. This causes rapid seal wear. It can be repaired.