QD-19 lower unit

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice
I recently completed a 4 year project. Getting my Grandfathers old outboard running again! It took lots and lots of parts hunting but she runs, and runs GREAT! My problem now is the lower unit is getting water sucked in. I figure if I can successfully rebuild the engine; I should be able to tackle the seal replacement on the lower unit. I'll get to the point, I'm basically looking for advice. I took apart another old very rusted lower unit from a 1958 5.5 just to see what I'm getting into and ended up breaking things trying to get the drive shaft oil seal out. My Johnson service manual isn't very specific when it comes to this. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Just for kicks I'll attach a few pictures. :) It's all original except for the pistons/rods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBnRw4zAwWE

Attachments

• Johnson1.jpg
    Johnson1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Johnson2.jpg
    Johnson2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson3.jpg
    johnson3.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: QD-19 lower unit

Nice job.

You are right, there is possibility of damaging the thin bearing housing if you are not careful. The CORRECT way to get the seals out is with the special tool. However, having said that, prople reseal those things every day without the tool. Numerous tricks have been used, some work and some don't.

If you happen to have a Dremel, it can be a safe method. Just grind through one side of the seal till it is paper thin, then collapse it and it will fall out. Personally, I chuck the bearing housing up in my metal lathe and cut the seal out. Easy for me to say because I have a lathe.

jasper60103

Commander

I agree with F_R. You will destroy the seal getting it out, but just be careful not to damage anything else. When I did a lower unit, I nibbled around the center of the seal with a seal puller and eventually it popped free.

Also, that's sweet looking motor. Sounds good too. Good job.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you jasper60103 and F_R! I knew prior to testing this that it was leaking a little gear lube. I had gear lube sitting in it for 3-4 months while I looked for the remaining parts I needed. It made a few drips on the floor in that time. It looked to be coming from the skeg seal. This motor has VERY low hours. It was used twice a year for the first 25 years of its life, then once the motor blew it sat in a basement. It's probably not the best idea, but I'm thinking about just replacing the bottom seals and hoping that's the problem. I really don't want to get this far and screw something up. If it works this way, great I'll save the other seals for when they eventually go bad..If it doesn't work I'll know real fast after running it in a barrel a few times. Maybe I'll change my mind when the parts manual shows up for my qd-19. I found an original one on ebay.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Well this is a disapointment. I bought one off ebay a few days ago. I should have signed up for this forum sooner. Oh well...it's an original copy so I guess it was worth it? lol Neat thing about most of these older johnson's is that they were built just down the road from me. Waukegan Illinois! My motor has never left the general area. (cept for fishing trips)

jasper60103

Commander

Yea, good old midwest iron. I had a motor with a Waukegan plate on it. I'm from Chicago as well.

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

Took me a whole 3 hours but I got one of the oil seals out! I ended up using a dremel tool and a chisel. Came out perfectly! Thanks

restornator

Petty Officer 1st Class

can you use a bearing puller the get those driveshaft seals out? i figure its pretty close to the special tool

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

can you use a bearing puller the get those driveshaft seals out? i figure its pretty close to the special tool

You mean a slide hammer?
there is a guy on youtube that has done that by putting a screw into it. I doubt it would work one the small seals.

I bought the smallest 3-jaw puller I could find, its too big.

jasper60103

Commander

I can't speak for the bearing puller. I picked mine out with one of these...

SDC12050.jpg

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

I seen that tool when I googled "seal puller" how well does it work?

Fry300

Seaman Apprentice

I have two more questions for you guys. 1. How do I get the brass bushing out so that I can replace the shift rod seal? Also how do I go about getting the bearing housing (the one under the water pump) off so that I can replace the large flat gasket under it.

If you don't know what I mean by that the part number for the part that I'm trying to remove is #377186 and this is to replace gasket #303339

For the shift rod: I'm trying to remove bushing # 303332 to replace o-ring 301877

Parts catalog: http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377513/37751300001.htm

I'm assuming there is a way to tap these two parts out from under?

I had a junker lower unit from a 5.5 same year and I ended up breaking the bearing housing. Its very thin cast.

Thanks in advance, everyone that has chimed in has been a huge help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 0