QA & Design Installed SEAHUNT TRITON 212 FISH BOX & Void Foam Fill

mrsnipe

Cadet
Subject: QA and Design on Two Installed SEAHUNT TRITON 212 FISH BOX Enclosures & Foam Fill in GUNWALE <br /><br />Ref: (a) DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, Coast Guard, 33 CFR Parts 181 and 183<br /> (b) http://www.seahuntboats.com/about/ <br /> (c) Phonecall between Terry Payne/USCG Office of Boating Safety, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division, U.S. Coast Guard, telephone (202) 267-0981 20 August 2003.<br /> <br />-------------------------------------------------<br />Dear Mr. Moss (Joel) and Mr. Seels (Ernie): <br /><br />1. Ernie, this is summary of our discussion on Tuesday August 19 with respect to 100 Qt and 150 Qt Fish Box enclosures' foam application and low Gunwale FOAM Level forward of installed Outrigger Holders:<br /><br /> a. Specifications for coolers include foam on sides and foam can be applied to bottom. SEA HUNT needs to inspect and make repairs as necessary after the customer brings boat to SEA HUNT.<br /><br /> b. SEA HUNT fills voids in Triton 212 to COAST Specifications for flotation. This fill is performed based on weight of liquid. The foam is for flotation only and is not a core design for rigidity or structural strength. Consequerntly SEA HUNT is not inclined to fill my Triton 212 forward voids to a level commensurate to aft portion of boat.<br /><br />2. Considerations, Specifications and Facts:<br /><br /> a. The Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971 (46 U.S.C. 4302) gave the Coast Guard the statutory authority to issue regulations establishing minimum safety standards for the manufacture of recreational boats and associated equipment. Subsequently, the Coast Guard issued the regulations that appear in 33 CFR Parts 181 (certification regulations) and 183 (manufacturing regulations). These regulations establish standards for the manufacture of conventional types of recreational boats-ones that contain a typical hull, transom, and passenger load carrying area. <br /><br /> b. Under 33 CFR Parts 181 (certification regulations) and 183 (manufacturing regulations) Boats with Outboard Motors 20-feet of more in length are NOT REQUIRED to have either BASIC or LEVEL FLOTATION (i.e., Reference to USCG Code on Triton 212 is not relevant).<br /><br /> c. As discussed reference (c), USCG does not inspect 20 foot boats equipped with outboard motors for foam level. There is no requirement and the manufacturer sets the standard based on their factory production design and customer requirements.<br /><br /> d. The only published SEA HUNT specifications for my TRITON 212 available to me at purchase are posted on reference (a) http://www.seahuntboats.com/about/ <br /><br /> SEA HUNT WWW advertises to potential customers in the open market place:<br />"Sea Hunt boats are designed and engineered from the keel up to give you the driest, smoothest, most comfortable ride of any boat in their size range. Our design team carefully considers the use of every inch of space to give you the most cockpit room and the most storage space possible. <br />Viewed from the stern the Sea Hunt features a full width transom running from port to starboard. Sea Hunts are wider from chine to chine, reducing "rock and roll" as you move about with the boat at rest. A wider bottom, complimented by the addition of non-trip chines, wide sharp lifting strakes and molded in spray rails means your Sea Hunt comes on plane quicker, requires less horsepower to perform correctly and reduces fuel consumption. More flair and a sharper degree of entry provide a softer entry into a head sea and a dryer ride. <br />Many boats feature set back transoms, transom brackets, or integrated bow pulpits that are counted in the measurement of "Length Over All". Not a Sea Hunt. "Length Over All" is all boat! <br />Sea Hunt's hulls and all-fiberglass grid stringer systems are constructed using hand laid multi-directional fiberglass cloth and premium resins. Stringers and all open spaces are filled with rigid high-density foam for added strength and flotation. Decks are stiffened and reinforced with Kledgecell. <br />All new Sea Hunt boat hulls for 2002 are warranted to be free from structural defects in material and workmanship under normal recommended use for a period of 10 years.<br />Whether your boating preference is fishing, skiing or just plain all-round fun, the versatile Sea Hunt line delivers"<br /><br />3. Conclusions:<br /><br /> a. USCG Codes are not a factor in design of foam around coolers or in other voids.<br /><br /> a. My TRITON 212 cooler foam level around cooler voids is not full of foam nor are sides fully insulated.<br /><br /> b. Aft of Outrigger Holders (approx 10.5 ft from transom) in inner GUNWALE space is approx 8"-10 " (inches) below GUNWALE Top and void is not fully foamed.<br /><br /> c. Foam level forward of Outrigger Holders (approx 10.5 ft from transom) in inner GUNWALE space is not detectable with 4.0 foot flexible probe into inner space and void is not fully foamed.<br />.<br /> d. My smoother assessment after discussing with Seels and USCG is that the foam levels in voids are not as specified on SEA HUNT advertisement and marketing for the TRITON Series. These limitations will contribute to more hull flex, less noise attenuation, less shock absorption and I will start having Gel Coat problems in vicinity of center console amidships as I approach 100 hours of operation. <br /><br />4. Recommendations from SEA HUNT are welcomed on how to proceed. Will SEA HUNT backfit my TRITON 212 and fill voids to conform to:<br />Stringers and all open spaces are filled with rigid high-density foam for added strength and flotation? <br /><br />Very truly yours,<br /><br />Terry Payne<br />SPAWAR Customer Support (04C)<br />Charleston SC<br />tpayne@c-cubedcorp.com<br />843-308-6720 Office<br />619-459-0359 Cell<br />843-762-4286 Home

93bronco

Ensign
Re: QA & Design Installed SEAHUNT TRITON 212 FISH BOX & Void Foam Fill

ok!! <br />so what exaxctly are you trying to say??<br />is sea hunt not building boats up to standard or what?

Bondo

Staff member

The Guys Obviously a Lawyer, Who Doesn't Quite Know What He Wants, Although He Knows He Doesn't Have it.....<br /><br />Nope, Wait a minute......<br />He's a Clairavoiant........<br />
I will start having Gel Coat problems in vicinity of center console amidships as I approach 100 hours of operation.

Link

Rear Admiral

Moving to Project boats! :)