Q for all the MD people

vegard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will be launching my boat for the first time this afternoon... which ramp should I go to?<br />I live just north of DC. I dont really want to go to the north potomac ramps, they are so muddy and nasty. Are there any ramps in DC? Thanks

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Q for all the MD people

not sure about d.c. if you want to hit the annapolis/bay bridge areas, the best ramps are at sandy point state park. 15-20 or so ramps, nice gradual slope, fully paved, full piers between each launch, etc. the best i've ever seen/used.

sbounds

Recruit

Good ramp near Regan National airport that is free and another near by at Columbia island marina. Both off the GW parkway.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

D.C. has one two-lane ramp. It is located halfway up the Anacostia River at Anacostia Park. It looks little used, mostly by boats under 14'.<br /><br />The National Airport ramp is called Gravelly Point. It is free but you have to be an acrobat to board and exit the boats. <br /><br />Sandy Point, mentioned above, is wonderful. But, now you're dealing with the Chesapeake Bay, which is a totally different setting than the upper Potomac.<br /><br />The State of Maryland publishes a map of all the boat ramps and piers in the State. It is excellent and should be free. Check with the MD DNR website to learn where to pick one up.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

How is the fishing off of Sandy Point? I am going to have something in the water next year and since there apparently arent too many interested in a Del Bay Iboats fishathon, maybe a gathering at Sandy Point would work, sure sounds like a good launch site!<br /><br />whatcha think guys? (what is it, about three hours from philly?)

mattttt25

Commander

it's typical chesapeake bay fishing, and all depends on the time of year. about 2 1/2 hrs from philly. lots of great cruising areas with waterfront bars/restaurants.