push button shift questions

i got a 1970 60 horse evinrude with the push button shift type controls. i am almost 100 percent sure the wiring is correct but when i push the buttons i dont hear it shif or anything. i havent had it in the lake yet but was wonderin if i should hear it shift or if its jus suppose to be quiet. i accidentaly broke my flush attatchment so im jus tryin it with the key turned on and not running for right now. if anyone has any input towards these things it would be greatly apreciated. also is there anyway to convery to manual normal shifting with these? thanks

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: push button shift questions

the shift is very quite you probably won't hear it make any sound
You have what is known as a "Hydro Electric Shift" unit motor must be turning in order for unit to build hydraulic pressure to shift into neutral or reverse.
Let us know how lake test goes.
Wayne

alright i will do. i really appreciate the answer. i have been fightin with the thing for a few days now haha.i have the manual on it and pretty sure i got the wiring right. ill take it to the lake hopefully tommorow. thanks again. oh also i plan on putting a tell tale on it soon. i read the link you guys have on here and it looks easy enough. ill let ya know how that goes.

took it to the lake today. fired right up which is always good. shifted into forward and neutral but no reverse. therte is a red cable coming out of my control box that i cant find in the manual. i dont know what it goes to but everyhtin works without it. also there is no water comin out the back. if i put a tell tale on this would it fix the problem?

tinkertinker

Seaman

As for the telltale, I've heard of people installing them, but you probably have an outlet above the waterline that should be spitting out warm water. Some motors have a single hole, others two holes. I'm an amateur, but I change the impeller automatically on every outboard I get.

I had an electric shift on a 1971 or so Johnson (I forget now). Replacement parts are hard to come by for the electric shift, they say, and THERE IS SPECIAL LOWER UNIT OIL FOR THEM. I was told that regular lower unit lube eats the wires.

I was nervous that thing was gonna stop shifting every time I was on the water. Finally, a mysterious illness that even a trusted mechanic couldn't diagnose killed that motor.

I don't know if you can convert it, but if you can, I'd consider doing so.

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

check for voltage on the green wire and blue wire green n uetral green and blue reverse
if voltage present check ohms reading on wires leading into gearcase should be 5-7ohms i think
if that checks-ok what gear oil r u using??
should be type c or brp premimum blend
Wayne

i believe i put premium blend in it. i think im gonna go buy new stuff anyways to be sure. i threw away the bottle so better to jus change it and not take the chance. ill give it a shot with the wiring. i gotta go buy a voltage tester. i am gonna put a tell tale on it anyways jus cuz i like to see the water comin out in a stream rather than two little holes in the back that are suppose to spray. thanks

ok. i couldn find anything that checked the ohms. i got a test light and the green and blue wires lit up with it in reverse but neither would light up for neutral. forward gear was working when i had it in the water. if this is right then im jus gonna take it back to the water and see if im jus blind or something. let me know what ya guys think. thanks

also any idea what the red cable coming out of the control box is? its def a power wire cuz i accidentaly touched it of somethin and it sparked.