Purpose of spacer on Mercruiser 140, front engine mount,

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
Decided to replace all engine mounts on my 1978 Merc 140. i noticed the front spacer, part number 23-36101, (see pic) was missing. We've been running it like this for probably 20 hours. Apparantly not made anymore, can only find one on ebay. Can anyone tell me how vital this part is? I imagine it secures the bolt to the top of the mount so that the engine doesn't ride up and down the bolt?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Wayne
spacer.JPG
spacer 1.JPG

Scott06

Vice Admiral
The world is t going to end over this but it isolates the bolt from the un numbered horizontal mount casting , otherwise the washers would transmit engine vibration that should be absorbed by the mount #19. Basically you are taking the flexible nature of the mount out of it by tightening it against the horizontal mount. My advice get a pice of black or galvanized pipe the right diameter at hardware store and cut it to length just needs to seat on inner metal sleeve of part 19, so bottom line it’s not rocket surgery

Last edited:

MaxGlide

Petty Officer 2nd Class
or a piece of EMT conduit
Thanks for the reply! I figured that the spacer firmly connects the bolt to the mount so that the motor doesn't bounce up and down on the bolt (#27). The only way that one could get it firm would be, as you say, to tighten it so much that it presses up against the arm, defeating the absorption properties of the rubber bushing. I noticed it was missing only because I noticed the fibre washer was completely squished into the space. I like the pipe suggestion, since the only one I can find is on Ebay in the US. Thanks again.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Emergency medical technician??

(BTW, I hate TLAs)
EMT is a type of metal electric conduit (aka cheap metal tubing readily available) used in the northern hemisphere. Since you guys have your seasons all mixed up down there 👇 you may have trouble keeping up with our TLAs… and yeah i did have to look up TLA…

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Emergency medical technician??

(BTW, I hate TLAs)
(sɹǝdɯɐƆ ʎddɐH ʎɹǝΛ) s,ƆHΛ llɐ ǝɹɐ ǝʍ ʎɐp ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ os '∀ԀI ɐ puɐ 'HℲq ɐ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɟᴉ sǝɯᴉʇǝɯos sdlǝɥ ʇᴉ

˙ǝsn plnoɔ (ɔᴉuɐɥɔǝW pǝʞɔǝN pǝɹ) WNɹ ɐ ʇɐɥʇ ǝsoɥʇ ɟo ǝuo ƃuᴉǝq ┴WƎ ǝsn ʇɐɥʇ ǝsoɥʇ puɐ 0ㄣƖ WƆW ǝɥʇ ɟo WƎℲ ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉqᴉɹɔsǝp ǝlᴉɥʍ ǝsn uɐɔ ǝʍ ʇɐɥʇ s,∀˥┴ ʎuɐɯ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʇ 'MIMℲ os

˙sɹǝɥʇo ɟo ɥɔunq ɐ puɐ

puɐɯɯoƆ ʇndʇnO ǝlqɐᴉɹɐΛ

punodɯoƆ ɔᴉuɐƃɹO ǝlᴉʇɐloΛ

ɹǝɯoʇsnƆ ɟo ǝɔᴉoΛ

ƃuolɐ ƆOΛ ɟo suoᴉʇɐᴉɹɐΛ 8 ɹǝʌo pɐɥ ǝʍ

sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ϛ puɐ sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ϛ 'sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl Ɛ 'sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ᄅ sɐʍ ǝɹǝɥʇ

˙sɯʎuoɹɔɐ (puɐsnoɥʇ ǝʌᴉɟ ʎʇuǝʍʇ sǝʎ) 000'ϛᄅ ɥʇᴉʍ (sɯʎuoɹɔ∀ pǝs∩ ʎlʇuǝnbǝɹℲ) ∀∩Ⅎ pǝɥsᴉlqnd ɐ pɐɥ ǝʍ suᴉɯɯnƆ ʇɐ pǝʞɹoʍ I uǝɥʍ

achris

More fish than mountain goat
(sɹǝdɯɐƆ ʎddɐH ʎɹǝΛ) s,ƆHΛ llɐ ǝɹɐ ǝʍ ʎɐp ǝɥʇ ɟo puǝ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ os '∀ԀI ɐ puɐ 'HℲq ɐ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɟᴉ sǝɯᴉʇǝɯos sdlǝɥ ʇᴉ

˙ǝsn plnoɔ (ɔᴉuɐɥɔǝW pǝʞɔǝN pǝɹ) WNɹ ɐ ʇɐɥʇ ǝsoɥʇ ɟo ǝuo ƃuᴉǝq ┴WƎ ǝsn ʇɐɥʇ ǝsoɥʇ puɐ 0ㄣƖ WƆW ǝɥʇ ɟo WƎℲ ǝɥʇ ƃuᴉqᴉɹɔsǝp ǝlᴉɥʍ ǝsn uɐɔ ǝʍ ʇɐɥʇ s,∀˥┴ ʎuɐɯ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʇ 'MIMℲ os

˙sɹǝɥʇo ɟo ɥɔunq ɐ puɐ

puɐɯɯoƆ ʇndʇnO ǝlqɐᴉɹɐΛ

punodɯoƆ ɔᴉuɐƃɹO ǝlᴉʇɐloΛ

ɹǝɯoʇsnƆ ɟo ǝɔᴉoΛ

ƃuolɐ ƆOΛ ɟo suoᴉʇɐᴉɹɐΛ 8 ɹǝʌo pɐɥ ǝʍ

sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ϛ puɐ sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ϛ 'sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl Ɛ 'sɯʎuoɹɔɐ ɹǝʇʇǝl ᄅ sɐʍ ǝɹǝɥʇ

˙sɯʎuoɹɔɐ (puɐsnoɥʇ ǝʌᴉɟ ʎʇuǝʍʇ sǝʎ) 000'ϛᄅ ɥʇᴉʍ (sɯʎuoɹɔ∀ pǝs∩ ʎlʇuǝnbǝɹℲ) ∀∩Ⅎ pǝɥsᴉlqnd ɐ pɐɥ ǝʍ suᴉɯɯnƆ ʇɐ pǝʞɹoʍ I uǝɥʍ
The scary thing, I actually am able to read that, and understand it. 🤦

(And you missed 'Validation Of Competency' in your listing of 'VOC'. That's a mining industry one ;))