Pulling tubes help!

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
My buddy has a Sylvan tirtoon with a 150hp Yamaha.

The dealer told him to get a ski pylon for pulling tubes :rolleyes:

The first year go figure they bent the pole but the dealership warrantied it.

This year we bent it again due to the tube going underwater and looking like $1500 to get replaced!

Browsing on this form today I learned ski poles ARE NOT THE WAY TO GO!

What do you use to pull a tube then?

Below is an image of what there tube looks like

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 4

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When I was looking for a rope to pull a big water toy ( 5 person ) the sales person said----" do you have enough motor " ?-----He sold me a rope that would pull any car out of a ditch.-----So yes water toys towed normally present a lot of drag.-----Consider a tripod ski-bar and " beef it up " with carbon fiber sleeves.-----I am building a tow bar using carbon fiber over a thin wall aluminum tube.----Aluminum tube is only there to form the shape of the carbon fiber.

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I was looking for a rope to pull a big water toy ( 5 person ) the sales person said----" do you have enough motor " ?-----He sold me a rope that would pull any car out of a ditch.-----So yes water toys towed normally present a lot of drag.-----Consider a tripod ski-bar and " beef it up " with carbon fiber sleeves.-----I am building a tow bar using carbon fiber over a thin wall aluminum tube.----Aluminum tube is only there to form the shape of the carbon fiber.
Well this is kinda ridiculous.... It's 2021.. people have been pulling tubes for ever! Since I was a kid at least... Can't believe they don't have something.. like in line breakaway system in line with the rope if "x" amount of force is applied it automatically disconnects... Would save alot of bars and transoms :rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Just be glad that when the pole failed (many (most?all?) ski pylons have warning labels Not for Use w Tubes) it didnt become a missle and take out a 'toon, deck fencing, motor cowl or passenger....

look for a pontoon tow bar, its a readily available retail option thats the basis for Racer's DIY carbon fiber bar

Or a Y harness to attach to both port & starboard stern eyes and then attach the tubes rope to the Y harnesses center yoke