pulling the head...

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice
my mercruiser 305 (1999) has the head blown on the starboard side and I was wondering if I could just pull the head and replace the gasket without retiming the engine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: pulling the head...

Sure can. <br /><br />Just dont pull the distributor.<br /><br />Bob

Wart T

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hee hee, I'd like to see that.

rybad

Petty Officer 1st Class

..and whats so difficult in timing the engine ?

KaGee

Admiral

Just make a mark on the distributor and a corresponding mark on the intake manifold prior to removing distributor. Also make note of the direction the rotor button is pointing. Provided you do not turn the engine over, you can put it back together and in theory, your timing will be the same. <br /><br />But really, beg, borrow or steal a timing light.<br />What if it is off to begin with. And what if your advance is not working properly? How would you know??

mestey2004

Seaman Apprentice

Okay okay okay, I'll get a timing light and time it. sheesh :) Thanks for the advice. This board and you-all have saved my arse and mucho time in the past, so I thought I beg the question to see if it was possible.

tommays

Admiral

how are you going to pull a head without pulling the intake manifold first<br /><br />tommays

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget to drain all the water out the engine first.You should have a plug on each side of the block to do that,under the exhaust manifolds.