Pulling Power Head From 140 Rude

Andrec4016

Seaman
This is going to be a loaded question.. did a compression test on 83 140 v4 and the #1 cylinder had a 40psi read and the rest are fine at 125 +_ saw a score on top of the #1 cylinder.. so the only thing to do is to pull the head and do a ring job and hone the cylinder.. the question is can I just pull the 4 mount screws from the base and pull with a engine hoist and disconnect some wires or is there more than I'm getting myself into.. I'm not ready to fork over $2000 plus to replace powerhead for something I could do.. :confused: :(

Andrec4016

Seaman
Re: Pulling Power Head From 140 Rude

I changed the head gasket to see if I could get away with a quick fix put the rest is history, also noticed alot of salt build up in the cooling head jacket, I have the manual and have read it I think I memorized the whole chapter.. quick question, when I pulled the head and outer water cover the gasket was ripped apart the gasket has no water passages just screw holes? is normal?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Andre.... Obtain a service manual as there will be more question than space allows for answers otherwise.<br /><br />To begin with, that powerhead (on each side) is attached with (front to back) one 1/2" nut, one short 1/2" bolt, four long 1/2" bolts, and finally at the rear of the engine, one 1/2" nut (actually two nuts at the rear, close together).<br /><br />Then of course, you need to disconnect the shift lever (a shoulder bolt) at its location under the bottom carburetor, plus all other linkages and electrical connections.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Thats about it. Remove the 6 long bolts, the nuts from 2 studs in the front and 2 in the back, the 2 small bolts in the front and the shift linkage. The wiring harness will unplug at the large red cannon plug, the the fuel line and oil line if you have one. You may have to remove some trim wiring, depending on the set up. No biggie.<br /><br />You can pull the engine wiring harness off as a whole easier when the powerhead is on the bench. Then just start ripping her down following the instructions in the manual. If you dont have one -- get one. Period. Youll see why as you get into it.<br /><br />Plan on a bore job and new pistons. Also do the complete cooling system service and clean the carbs.<br /><br />The most important thing is to find out what caused the problem and correct it. Otherwise the first rebuild will be just practice.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sorry Joe! You type faster than me. Well OK -- everybody does!