Pulling lower unit...

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I'm going in... I'm pulling the lower unit on a 97 50hp 'rude. However, before I get crazy, does anyone have any good advice to go along with it? My understanding is that it's pretty straight forward but would like to hear the advice of others more experienced before I go. I've read the manual but I have yet to wrench it.

t- 1 day, before tools applied.

angus63

Captain
Re: Pulling lower unit...

Factory manual is pretty staight forward. I found taking pics along the way my first time trying any repair helps alot. Only time I ever use my cell phone camera is doing repairs! Also don't be afraid to post with ANY questions along the way for a quick response.
Good luck

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I'm going to dig in tomorrow night hopefully. I get the dig out and have it ready to snap pics as I go. Good suggestion. Thanx

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, where in the flying @#$*#$ is the shift rod screw on this motor. Manual says its "protruding under the top engine cover, above the exhaust housing" from beyond there I get no diagram or better directions than that.

How do I find this screw? Do I have to pull the lower motor coul to get to it? I'm stumped. I've got it all but that. :confused::confused:

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

edit

Last edited:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Its alot harder to re install than to take apart. If you cant find it still just trace your finger up the shift rod into the cowl and youll see it behing the carbs as stated above. Like ezeke says, dont try to tighten the shift rod, its backed off for a reason, if you try to tighten it the tolerances will be too great and will cause you trouble. DOnt forget to take the prop off first, dont want any accidents, and props arent cheap. If you have all the lower unit bolts off and are trying to unhook the shift rod, put a couple back in so the lu doesnt fall to the ground.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grrrrr, I was afraid of that. Ok, thanks for the guidance. I'll yank the lower cowl so I can get to it. I've had to yank that thing couple of times and did not want to have to do it again. You are right though, pulling it is a lot easier than putting it back on.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have pulled the lower unit thanks to ezeke for pointing out where shift rod screw was. My impeller was in much better shape than I thought it was. The only damage was the outer wall of the impeller to the wall of the cup. I can't see any cracks, burns or deformations. I'll go ahead and replace it anyway.

I attached a pic for comments.

Attachments

• IMG_3660.jpg
    IMG_3660.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Er, for those with questions the round piece of rubber in the pic between the impeller and cup is the damaged piece of impeller I was speaking of.:)

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, finally got some time to work on this thing again. I have a mallory impeller for the replacement and I have an issue. When I pulled the OMC impeller it has a space in the impeller housing for the rubber o-ring at the bottom of the shaft. The mallory impeller does not have the same space and included a larger o-ring than the OMC. So with the o-ring there (new or used) with the mallory impeller the cup and cover will not fully seat onto the housing. With the old impeller it will sit flush with the housing. Now if I leave out the o-ring it fits perfectly. Do I have a faulty impeller or can it go in without the o-ring?

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nevermind, I just found it out there is a design change on the impeller's and the the o-ring is no longer needed as part of the replacement. Which solves this part of the question.

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually it just looks like it was installed upside down. The piece and indention that you are seeing is a burnt out plastic from the impeller housing against the cup. The indentation and o-ring were actually correct. I just had the impeller upside down from pulling it from the cup to show the issue I found. At that point in time the o-ring was still on the shaft against the top of the housing.

They make the impellers so that you can't install the lock key anyway but the direction the impeller is meant to sit. At least on the OMC part pulled and the mallory part that I have are that way. (I tried just to make sure I was seeing the same thing.)

The marine dealer I bought the impeller from said, "that this manufactured part was a design change that no longer required the o-ring." However, I understand that the OMC parts still require the o-ring.

Gary H NC sent me to these guys for the parts saying he has used these as well.

Does this make more sense to what you are seeing? Thanks!

chbailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I was trying to say is that the melted rubber was on the top and not on the indented side. The inside top of the cup when installed properly was where the melt down was. The o-ring was on the bottom and properly set. So flip the impeller over and that is how it was sitting in the cup.

Are you saying that is still incorrect? That is how I re-installed it and it seems to work just fine after taking it out today. Let me know because I would hate to have installed incorrectly. Thanks!!