Pulling a Sea Ray 268 Sundancer - Awkward?

jstubble

Cadet
I've been looking at some 1989-1991 Sea Rays, and I want a 26' like a 260 or 268, but I was told today by a salesman that trailering and pulling a boat like that was not a good idea. Too big and awkward, hard to drop in, better to be left at a marina. They have 8'6" births, so they are not a wide load, but wanted to get other boaters opinions. I've got a Ford Expedition, so it can handle up to 6000 pounds. I want the bigger boat so I can have a spot for my 3 yr old and 1 year old to sleep and eat, and the mid galley seating in that boat size is much more spacious than even dropping down to the 25'. What has been your experience with backing up, dropping your boat in the water, etc.? Is it too big to be taking back and forth from home to ramp?<br /><br />Any thoughts from other SeaRay 26' Sundancer owners?

Realgun

Commander
Re: Pulling a Sea Ray 268 Sundancer - Awkward?

Thats a heck of a boat to be trailering around. What is the actual weight of the ship and trailer?<br />This will tell you if you can even do it with you Expedition.

Realgun

Commander

I was just looking at the searay site that ship itself is 7,500 LBs You gonna need a bigger truck a diesel is probably needed here. Excursion?

jstubble

Cadet

The weight of the boat is 5,100. Not sure what the trailer weighs, probably 150-200? The boat holds 100 gallons of fuel and 24 gallons of water, so I'm probably cutting it close to reaching tow capacity. <br /><br />The trailer is double axle, of course, but I wonder about sway when I'm driving.

jstubble

Cadet

The new 260's must weigh more than the 89's & 90's, because the 1989 26' weighs 5100, and the 24' weighs 4300 according to what I've been able to find...

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not sure what the trailer weighs, probably 150-200?
Sorry, but dream on. My 4 Winns trailer for a 19 footer is 780# and is just a single axle.<br /><br />I suspect you are looking at a double axle. Don't know what it weighs, but I would guess more in the 1000-1100# range.<br /><br />Then add about 6.5 pounds per gallon of gas, or 650 there. Water is about 8#/gal, or 200 there.<br /><br />Trailer, gas, water comes to about 2000#, and then there is all your gear (food, PFDs, anchor, etc.). I would add at least a couple of hundred for it. How about 2500# plus the boat is 5100# you say.<br /><br />7600# sounds more like it. The weight adds up fast.<br /><br />How about something that can tow about 9000# for safety?

We have all given up on trying to pull our boats to and from the lake. Since a wet slip is so expensive and no one wants to put bottom paint on their boat we all just keep our boats in storage a mile or so from the lake. Then on friday launch out and come back on sunday to load the boat back up. You will probably save money when you count gas milage not pulling that boat.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Definitely in diesel territory.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

A 5.4l Expedition with tow package and 3.73 gears can tow 7800 lbs. Rating anyways. I agree with the previous post the trailer, gas and gear is 2500lbs.<br /><br />That's a big boat to be trailering on a regular basis. Good Luck.

bryantjb3

Seaman Apprentice

I trailer a '97 Sundancer 250. Dry weight is 5300 and trailer is ~1500. I figure the full loaded weight is around 7500. I pull with 3/4 ton Surburban which is rated for 9500lbs. if I remember right. The trailer is a drive on so loading and unloading could not be any easier. If your expedition is only rated at 6000 it will probably pull passable but will be a strain on transmission. Could wear that out faster than you would like. Got our Searay a year ago, Great Boats! Good Luck

rwidman

Lieutenant

My boat, loaded, with trailer weighs in at over 7,200 lb and it's smaller than what you're looking at. The trailer alone is 1,200 lb. You need a smaller boat or a larger vehicle. In any event, get an actual weight, not a guess or "published weight", there can be a big difference.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This combo is closer to 10,000 lbs than 5,000 lbs. I'd bet my house on it. I have an '03 Expedition and I pull around 5500 lbs. and it is perfect. You need a serious vehicle with close to a 10,000 lb rating. Absolutely no debate.<br /><br />I'll probably get flamed for this, but it doesn't matter if it is gas or diesel. Only the tow rating. Now, if you want to talk speed with that load or fuel economy, then this becomes a different discussion. Horsepower is horsepower. I don't care if you make it with a diesel or a turbine or an electric motor. It just has to be geared properly for the job you are going to do.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

When we talk about towing, we talk pulling power and forget the most important part - stopping power.<br /><br />Not sure if it is a factor with trailer brakes, but I would like to know I have something with enough stability and heft that when I step on the brakes it will stop.

tommays

Admiral

IMHP its way to big to tow on a regular basis i see people doing it and you need a really perfect launch ramp<br /><br />there can be issues with the stern getting to deep on steep ramps before the boat floats and forceing water over the risers :eek: <br /><br />you back that baby off the ramp at a less than perfect place and your staying there<br /><br />tommays

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

I tow a 230 Sea Ray from Maryland to Florida and back every year with a F150 5.7 gasser. It's got towing pakage. I figure around 5000 lbs for boat and 2000 for trailer. Never a problem. the Ford is rated for 8800 lbs towing (for the weight police :)) and I have tons of experience towing a variety of things.<br />Make sure you have at least a transmission cooler and brakes on the trailer - not to mention heavy duty rated hitch and ball - then consider the distances you'll be covering. Ramp to home and back again? Should be OK.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by gstanton:<br /> I figure around 5000 lbs for boat and 2000 for trailer.
The trailer will have a label on it. It will list the capacity and the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). Subtract the capacity from the GVWR and you have the weight of the trailer.<br /><br />I had my rig weighed for $5.00 at the recycling center. Well worth it for peace of mind. Also, the only way to adjust for the correct tongue weight.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by jstubble:<br /> I've been looking at some 1989-1991 Sea Rays, and I want a 26' like a 260 or 268, but I was told today by a salesman that trailering and pulling a boat like that was not a good idea. Too big and awkward, hard to drop in, better to be left at a marina. ....... What has been your experience with backing up, dropping your boat in the water, etc.? Is it too big to be taking back and forth from home to ramp?<br /><br />
If you've never towed a trailer before, it will be "big and awkward" but with experience and planning you can learn to handle it. You will have to choose your gas stations carefully, you need to be able to pull through. Driving in traffic or on city streets will be difficult at first. As mentioned above, you will need a vehicle with a larger tow rating, probably a 3/4 ton truck.<br /><br />There are a lot of advantages to keeping your boat on a trailer at home. There are advantages to keeping it in a marina also so you have to consider what's best for you at this time.

M260A

Recruit

Hey everyone, I a newly registered, but have been lurking for a while. <br />I bought a 260 Sundancer last summer, and have been towing with my 03 F150 4x4. It has the tow package and is rated for 9500 lbs.When I bought the truck I had a 21' Chris Craft Cuddy, and did not plan to upgrade so soon, but went to the boat show in Houston in August and we could not help ourselves!<br /> I have an aluminum trailer, so that helps with the weight. Fully loaded with gas, water and gear, my monster weighs in at 8200lb. (truck scale) I try not to fill the water until we are at the dock, just to save a few pounds, but it doesn't matter that musch. The trailer has disc brakes (of course). I have alot of towing experience with different types of vehicles, so I have confidence in my driving abilities. It can be done, you just have to be slow, cautiouse and aware of what is going on around you. At the ramp, I put the truck in 4 Low, and I do not have any problems. It is a nice ramp that is not steep at all, and does not have any tide to worry about. The boat loads and unloads easily, my wife and I do this by ourselves. I think the Expedition my not pull that boat, but I would want to get an accurate weight first.And I hope you have some good towing experience.

ezzymonie

Recruit

I've been looking at some 1989-1991 Sea Rays, and I want a 26' like a 260 or 268, but I was told today by a salesman that trailering and pulling a boat like that was not a good idea. Too big and awkward, hard to drop in, better to be left at a marina. They have 8'6" births, so they are not a wide load, but wanted to get other boaters opinions. I've got a Ford Expedition, so it can handle up to 6000 pounds. I want the bigger boat so I can have a spot for my 3 yr old and 1 year old to sleep and eat, and the mid galley seating in that boat size is much more spacious than even dropping down to the 25'. What has been your experience with backing up, dropping your boat in the water, etc.? Is it too big to be taking back and forth from home to ramp?<br /><br />Any thoughts from other SeaRay 26' Sundancer owners?

I have a 1989 268 searay sundancer twin 205 hp 6cyl engines , 3.0 genset,boat weight with 100 gal. fuel 35 gal water probably weights close to 10,000 lbs. aluminum triple axle trailer withsurge brakes. I live in Birmingham Al. I bought the boat in Orlando Fl. Now my truck . 2001 Dodge ram 1500 slt Quad cab with 318 ci 5.2 l engine. I have factory installed heavy duty transmission. I pulled boat back 550 miles . I had 200,000 miles on the truck when i made the trip. Truck did the job it was asked, always has. I had to replace front brakes on my Truck when i got home. I have a hard time pulling boat up ramps, as they are very steep here. I prefer to dock my boat at the lake during the summer, just easier, and pull out during winter. Question is how far to ramp? how steep is the ramp?I suggest the first time if ramp is steep have someone else there with a rope and truck to help if you need it to get boat out.hope this helped

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

That boat would be a good match for my V10 F350. Noy sure I'd want to be dragging it around with an Expedition.