Pulley and cable steering.

Erik.C.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I hope this is the right place for this question. I just re-did the steering in my 66 Starcraft Explorer. It's pulleys and cable. I had to take the entire column apart and made sure that everything moved freely. Put everything back together with new coated cable and I figured it would be pretty easy to turn, but it's quite a bit stiffer than I expected. The cable I used is slightly smaller diameter than what was on it, but it's plenty strong and is nice and flexible. I think it is 3/32 cable with an o.d. of 3/16 with the vinyl. What was on it seemed just slightly smaller that 1/4 o.d.

Could the smaller cable be causing difficulty? Or could I have tensioned it too tight? I wasn't sure how much tension to put on the springs. They are somewhat compressed, but not overly compressed. I just want to make sure I don't sink this thing on my very first trip out. I'm getting close. I just need to get the ignition wired back in and and I should be just about ready to launch. My biggest concern is that the only nearby place for my first splash is in the river. Problems could equal really bad situation real fast.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Pulley and cable steering.

if you didn't use actual tiller cable, you may have some with the plastic too soft... that could cause excessive drag