Pulled Pump - Driveshaft Still in Motor - HELP

Feathercraf1

Cadet
Routine Water Pump Turns Scary

9122R 1971
9.9 Short Shaft - in freshwater

I tried to pull foot off as normal.

Had to pull so hard that impeller key pulled through & nicked pump housing !

How do I grab driveshaft to pull out of motor!

Repair pump housing with Devcon?

jbjennings

Captain
Re: Pulled Pump - Driveshaft Still in Motor - HELP

It sounds like someone failed to replace the driveshaft o-ring in the past and your shaft is rusted into the powerhead. You may have to take the powerhead off to get some better leverage and grip on it. This is not a totally uncommon problem and I think if you do a search on this forum for stuck driveshaft you might find some good threads that will give you an idea of what others did to free their's. The main worry is that the splines might be so rusted that when you take it out you'll have more trouble than you had before. But, I think it'll have to come out one way or another.
Good luck........I wish I had a feathercraft!:)
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Pulled Pump - Driveshaft Still in Motor - HELP

It sounds like someone failed to replace the driveshaft o-ring in the past and your shaft is rusted into the powerhead. You may have to take the powerhead off to get some better leverage and grip on it. This is not a totally uncommon problem and I think if you do a search on this forum for stuck driveshaft you might find some good threads that will give you an idea of what others did to free their's. The main worry is that the splines might be so rusted that when you take it out you'll have more trouble than you had before. But, I think it'll have to come out one way or another.
Good luck........I wish I had a feathercraft!:)
JBJ

Agreed, but the powerhead removal is a major undertaking on that one. Another option is to use a chainsaw file to enlarge that notch that it made in the housing just enough to put it back together the same way it came apart. That won't really affect the pump operation.

Sometime in the future, the rust in the splines will complete it's mission and it will quit driving. Could be 5 years, could be 5 days. If it's 5 days, there isn't any hope even if you do tear it down because it's already too far gone.

BTW, it is a 9.5, not a 9.9. Huge difference!!