Pull Rope won't pull

Scott2020

Cadet
This problem began recently with my 9.9hp 2007 electric start 4 stroke.
I can pull the rope and the engine will turnover.
When I use the elec start, it won't turnover and seems seized. The battery has tested good.
After I try the elec start. I can no longer pull the rope more than a few inches - until it would normally move the cylinders.
The pawl is not locking the recoil starter - that's not the problem.
The starter gear isn't stuck up into the flywheel, - that's not the problem.
In N, I can freely rotate the prop. In F, I can't rotate the prop past where it would normally move the cylinders.
Adding a jump pack to the battery doesn't help start it - it still wont turn over.

After lots of playing and attempts at starting with elec start, it will just start turning over easy, but wont start for a while - like it's flooded. When it finally starts, it blows out a lot of blue smoke.
After this, it will run all day, and if it stalls, it will start right up with the elec start.
A week later the problem starts all over again.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Too much oil in the sump ?-----Check oil level.------Is the motor permanently mounted on the boat ?-----Stored properly when taking it off the boat ?

Scott2020

Cadet
That has crossed my mind. I had to take it off the boat a few weeks ago, but laid it on the correct side. But it's run for hours since after being taken off the boat and put back on. After it seizing last night, I tried pulling it today with the kill switch in "off". It was very difficult to turn over, then became easier, then normal. Then I set kill to "on" and started it with the elec start. It turned over easily, so the battery is fine. It took a while to start, but finally did after I enabled the gear override, gave it full throttle, and cranked for a while. Could I be pumping too much gas in it with the bulb? Could that cause the piston to seize and flood it?

Scott2020

Cadet
I'll re-check the dip stick. If it's at the normal level, how would oil be getting into the cylinder?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor level or tilted down when it is on the boat and not being used.-----This problem should be easy to figure out.