Puffballs

LadyFish

Admiral
Seeing all the fall leaves turning in Maine on the weather channel yesterday got me to thinkin about puffballs.<br /><br />I love to eat them. Have any of you ever had them?<br /><br />Some people refer to them as "Wolf-fart Pears". We used to slice them into 1" slices, dredge them in egg/water, then bread/cracker crumbs and fry them. Its a real treat if you like 'shrooms'.<br /><br />Here's what they look like when they are ready to eat!<br /><br />
e896b9.jpg
<br /><br />
e897wi.jpg
<br /><br />
e896dx.jpg
<br /><br />Once they start turning brown they are somewhat poisonous and when they dry out, you can use them to bomb your siblings. The dust spores are dangerous though if inhaled.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Puffballs

Never had any, but, er......., never mind, I will hush now.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by Stiff Nibbles:<br /> Well from that last pic I can see why they turn brown....... :eek:
:D :D @SN<br />EDIT: And poisonous too. :eek:

LadyFish

Admiral

ROTFLMAO<br /><br />Well, I think they might be indiginous to the north or at least northeast. :) <br /><br />They grew all over the woods in the fall up in the Adirondaks. OMC has probably had them before.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have ran over a few that put out clouds of puff, does that count? :p

magster65

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />Once they start turning brown they are somewhat poisonous and when they dry out, you can use them to bomb your siblings. The dust spores are dangerous though if inhaled.
They're poisonous when they turn brown, dangerous to inhale and they look like a$$. Nope, that's just wrong LF.<br />They'd make a nice albino alternative to the standard pumpkin though. :)

one more cast

Captain

" OMC has probably had them before." <br /><br /> Yes indeed. I used to grill them with BBQ sauce. I ate to much(or maybe drank to much) and got sick on them about 20 years ago and haven't cared to try them since.<br /> EWEww, it makes we queasy just thinking about them. Maybe its time I eat some and get over it.

Ron G

Commander

I love shrums,never had those,never even heard of them,those aint the ones that turn brown and dry out,when you step on them a puff of yellow dust flies??

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Just because you found something on the ground does not mean you should eat it. :eek:

Bondo

Staff member

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> I love shrums,never had those,never even heard of them,those aint the ones that turn brown and dry out,when you step on them a puff of yellow dust flies??
Ayuh,.........Them's the 1s,... You've got to find them The Day,.. Or Very Soon after they emerge.........<br /><br />I Also Love Mushrooms,...... Especially Wild 1s,....<br />The only 2 that I'm Absolutely Sure of are the Puffballs,.....<br />And Meadow Mushrooms,......... No, Not Meadow Muffins,... :D Meadow Mushrooms...........<br /> <br />
agari08.jpg
<br />
acampest.jpg
<br /><br />Great Eating,........For the next few weeks,.. If they're coming out at all,... Now is the time of year to be Looking for them..........<br /><br />Around Here,... I can usually fill a paper shopping bag in a 30 minute ride around the county..........<br />When they're Out,....<br /><br />A Tip from an old mushroom hunter,..... They'll Always emerge in the Exact Same Spots,.....<br />Year after year,.. Or whenever the conditions have been Right...........<br />And,... Notice that they come out in a Circle..........<br />And,..... The Grass is Always Greener in the circle..........<br /><br />Good Luck,+ Be Safe,...........<br />If you Don't Know,....... Don't eat it..........

ZmOz

Captain

I've always had a different idea of eating "shrooms" from the forest. :D :p

one more cast

Captain

Bondo, Shaggy manes aka ink caps are good to eat but really rich and delicate. The good thing about them is there is no poison ones that look like them.(but please do your own research)<br />
bigmushrooms.jpg
once they open up they turn black and are no longer good to eat. If you want to try them go just south of Burrville on rt12 just up on the flat on the left in some guys yard.I don't know his name but he lets me pick them whenever I ask. His front lawn is usually covered with them if you hit it right.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I once was a big eater of wild shrooms. Yep, they are tasty, and now my mouth is watering from the thought. I then got some that took me on an unwanted trip that I'll never forget. Nope,,,,never again.....

dolluper

Captain

Got them all over up at the lake,eat them no thanks,but they make great bombs. Lake is 60 miles southwest of Ottawa towards Lake Ontario.Those ones OMC posted are all over my lawn,must be the mushroom compost Wifee was using :D :D

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I have eaten wild mushrooms all my life, nearly always mixed with onions and tomatoes.There is a european variation of the puffball that is always attacked by rabbits.The mushroom will grow to a foot and a half across.It grows faster than the rabbits can eat it.