PSA on Winterization Antifreeze

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I would love to have seen a study about whether filling cast iron engines with AF actually reduces corrosion or if it does nothing. We do spray oil pans, timing covers & leaf springs with Corrosion X or similar & that works. And Mercruiser has been recommending it for a long time in their manuals. I do it because of my 100% salt water use.

Surprisingly enough in Ontario where we can get a cold stretches into the -30C range most marina’s still use a -50F pink PG. Blows my mind. Any water left behind and you can be in trouble with the dilution. Not to mention freeze vs burst ratings.

My last boat had a volvo 5.0 which I drained and filled with -100 Starbrite for the last 6 years with no issues.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Even West Marine says to use -100 for those temps! I guess the marinas are counting on the thought that the -60 gets firm but doesn’t expand. IMHO that might be ok for plastic pipe but not for a cast iron engine!

tpenfield

Staff member
I went to 'full closed cooling' systems on my I/O (sterndrive) boats about 11 years ago, and have never looked back. I just make sure the engine coolant is up to snuff and run -100˚ F antifreeze through the raw water side. Done. :)

Since I'm in salt water, I also run a De-Scaler solution through the raw water side before winterizing.

tpenfield

Staff member
Surprisingly enough in Ontario where we can get a cold stretches into the -30C range most marina’s still use a -50F pink PG. Blows my mind. Any water left behind and you can be in trouble with the dilution. Not to mention freeze vs burst ratings.
Yes, most folks do not understand the path which the water/anti-freeze flows through their engine. So, they mistake seeing the anti-freeze come out from the outdrive as having thoroughly saturated the engine.

Then there is the whole freeze point vs. burst rating aspect. Lots of folks see the "-50 F" on the label and think the AF stays liquid until then.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I moved to Florida...... would like to say we don't need to deal with winterization. luckily I only need to drain the raw-water side.

tpenfield

Staff member
I moved to Florida...... would like to say we don't need to deal with winterization. luckily I only need to drain the raw-water side.
Yes, the Florida folks are pretty much exempt from winterization. The Texas folks . . . not so much . . . at least recently 😆

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, the Florida folks are pretty much exempt from winterization. The Texas folks . . . not so much . . . at least recently 😆
it still gets below freezing, even in cities like Frostproof.

I had ice in the bird bath this past winter as it got down in the teens.