Proud new owners of '62 DURATECH COMANCHE 18' Cabin Cruiser

We just purchased our boat & it is going to be our "fixer upper project" for the winter. We would appreciate any interior pictures that can be found and any comments on the original color schemes, etc. ... any info at all!!! We hope to return it to its original decor of that era. It has a 75 h/p Johnson outboard, which I believe is a 1963, which will need some work also. I am sending for manuals.

sasto

Captain
Re: Proud new owners of '62 DURATECH COMANCHE 18' Cabin Cruiser

Does she look like this?

This one was made by Penn Yan after they took over Durateck in the early or mid 60's.
my boat Post pics 10.JPG

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Provide your exact model name and serial (from the boat's original ID tag) and I can verify the year. That offer goes for both of you. :)

Sasto, does your ID tag indicate Penn Yan?

sasto

Captain

Provide your exact model name and serial (from the boat's original ID tag) and I can verify the year. That offer goes for both of you. :)

Sasto, does your ID tag indicate Penn Yan?

Yeh, Joe....mine is a Penn Yan, 1974, not like the one in the photo. But I really like that Durateck! What a great river fishing boat for around my area. I bet she would turn a few heads.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whose is the Comanche in the picture you posted? Not yours?

sasto

Captain

Whose is the Comanche in the picture you posted? Not yours?

Yes, Joe.......not mine. I've never seen one in person. A friend sent me the pic. I would like to have one for the novelty.

Sweet Durateck you have there!

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. Wish I had the opportunity to get out in her more than the handful of times I did this year. :)

JoeMan: We have verified ours is a '62 from the Fiberglassics.com site. From reading info, I found also that they only made the "Comanche" Cabin Cruiser in 62. But thanks for offering... What we would like is some pics of the interior of any Comanches, as we would like to restore to its original..... brochures.. anything!
Also,...we are finding lots of foam blocks in the bilge area and the cabin roof: Did these boats come from the factory with positive flotation?

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well...no, that is incorrect information. '62 was the first year of the Comanche, but Duratech manufactured these into '65 under the Comanche model name, and then Duratech was sold off to Penn Yan. In '66, Penn Yan changed the model name to 'Galaxy Cruiser', for the Comanche was always built on the Galaxy runabout hull. I've been tracking serial numbers for several years now. If you provide your 5 digit serial, I can verify the year for you if you're interested.

JoeMan: Thanks for the corrected info. The Model: comanche Cruiser. Serial#43035... Also please refer back to my last post regarding the foam and interior pics. We will appreciate any info we can get. Thanks

JoeMan; Have you had time to see if ours is indeed a '62 Comanche Cruiser? Even though it is in need of a LOT of repair, we can't wait to get started... So any pics would be soooo appreciated or any info you may have. We will appreciate any advice, suggestions, etc . Thanks.

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, yours is indeed a '62, per the serial number range.

The foam blocks were installed by Duratech. I have them as well.

The Duratech images of this model are not detailed. I can share pics from other owners...but many of which are in poor shape. There don't seem to be any of these which are nice and original. :(

Thank-You... There is a 75 h/p Johnson electramatic engine ( 1963) with it... pretty rough... but I found the manual... and also the wiring diagram,& my husband is working on it first.... Is this the proper size for this boat?..... Also... what is the recommended seating or # capacity for this boat?..... And ANY brochures.... or ANYthing would be appreciated.. We are beginning to tear out the carpet and gut it now... Lots of work, but oh it will be so worth it!!!
Comanche Owner

JoeMan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The motor rating for the Comanche is minimum 40 hp and maximum 100 hp, so the 75 is fine. The OBC weight capacity is 1,950 lbs.

Here is the '62 brochure section for the Comanche. Not so hot, but is what it is.

Send us an email to: duratech@duratechboats.com and that way when the annual newsletter goes out, you'll be included.

2i1ehl1.jpg

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does she look like this?

This one was made by Penn Yan after they took over Durateck in the early or mid 60's.
my boat Post pics 10.JPG

Hey Sasto . . .
Mine is actually a 1964 Duratech Comanche

So you like my boat The "Tiger Musky hunter"

She has boated some real nice fish over the years as well !!
Me%2044.jpg

Yes = she is a real head turner on the water !!