Prostate problems :(

sincraft

Seaman
Having issuessssssssss.<br /><br />Lowered the ...lower unit recently and replaced the impeller.<br /><br />Also rebuilt the carb...starts GREAT now. :) <br /><br />Started her up, no pee. Tried again, no pee. Shut her down after about 8 seconds on the longest try so it had plenty of time.<br /><br />Dropped the lower unit today, my only day off of course hehe. I put a hose up to the intake and sprayed, water pee'd out the top.<br /><br />Was careful to check the old impeller to see what way the fins were going, and I think I had the impeller fins going backwards. So this time I was careful not to repeat my mistake, and reverse it.<br /><br />Put it all back together, then there was a shifting problem and had to drop it again to play with the shift tube. Put it together AGAIN, and finally started it up.<br /><br />Nothing but smoke comes out of the tube at the beginning, then no water...water is spewing out from every oriface on the sides of the shaft...<br /><br />Misalligned guide tube where the flange comes down over the water pump? Seems like this is a flexible tube and that could possibly get twisted up, and even tried to turn it but it doesnt budge so not sure if that could be it or not. But the flange SEEMS to be seating properly ontop of the water pump.<br /><br />Any suggestions? I have to take the started out and of course you know what else to drop this unit each time and would love to get it right so I could go onto bigger and better things hehe.<br /><br />(Mercury 9.9 - 1988 - 2stroke)<br />S

dennis1

Cadet
Re: Prostate problems :(

I am having the same problemw my 150 merc. wonder if its the thermostat

sincraft

Seaman

I have no idea - There is a tube running down the shaft of my engine where the l.unit engine shaft guides into through a little hole but that's all there is. <br /><br />Then connected to that, is a tube that runs the whole length of the shaft which is obviously the feeder tube, which also has a piece of copper tubbing inside of it. The flange has to seat perfectly it seems on top of the l.unit water pump assembly. I even used whiteout to outline the flange cup thing, and when I put the l.unit up into the shaft and pull it back down, it shows that it is alligned properly.<br /><br />I've tried spraying water through both directions and it comes out the other ends just fine. Water is obviously being sucked in as there are two holes on the side shaft of my engine that are seemingly for no purpose, that water comes out of...probably so that water doesnt get as high as the engine itself and go into it...water spews from these holes and everywhere but that peehole at the toprear of my engine.<br /><br />I am getting So very frustrated. I would have never changed the impeller if I knew it was going to be all of these. All told now I am up to about 12 man hours troubleshooting this thing. I took it down the local marina, they are very busy atm..and said I was doing everything correctly and couldnt figure it out either after looking for 15 minutes but - like I said I went down without appointment.<br /><br />NEVER change the impeller until the water stops spewing I say, not work it. I think people advise to do this because it is a preventative measure so that when you go boating you dont have to go down a checklist of things to ensure things are working properly.<br /><br />When flying, you do NOT do this. You check everything as if it were possibly worn out, AND you do preventative maintenance. As it is obviously not as important for saftey reasons to do so, I would personally recommend AGAINST EVER changing an impeller until you are sure that the force of the water coming out is lack-luster. <br /><br />That said - I am about to throw this engine over the hill to rot. I got the carb rebuilt and running GREAT - however even that was a challenge as it seems noone has a good service manual online or in stores for my engine :( <br /><br />The lower unit in my seloc manual is TOTALLY different. I've had 5-10 people tell me my engine is definetely a 1988. However this seloc manual shows everything as different. I also highly recommend skimming the manual for your engine before purchasing to check to see if your engine matches up closely. I did not have that option as I purchased mine online. Iboats has no comment on what I should do with this book as it obviously was mistakenly labeled for my engine and is NOT the proper book.<br /><br />Signed,<br />VERY frustrated..<br /><br />S

dennis1

Cadet

well mine had stopped working .I changed the impeller and it did not help. After more research, I am going to drop the lu and retrace my steps. It seems like a very simple sysem and i hope that i am able to figure it out.if water is not coming out the hole and the hole is not clogged it must be the pump.

Looks like a gap at the up uptube is the problem with the 700E. Wonder the DR has a solution. Fitting the pieces together must be a surgeons nightmare under the best of conditions. Well, as they say - it's easy once you know how.

north40

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you running off ear muffs? Sometimes it takes quite a while to get the pump primed this way. Try in tank which has water level above antiventilation plate or in lake. If you have done this and still no water sounds most likely misaligned tube or missing key in impeller. Good luck.<br />Bob

sincraft

Seaman

Resolved.<br />Talked to another guy who said to check to see if the flange boot stuck onto the copper tubbing inside the shaft instead of staying tucked into the water pump. Sure enough it was. <br />When I talked to him, I told him it looked like there was room between the top of the pump in a little chamber to fit 'something' that would have a ending that would fit into the flange but inside the tube...i was wrong but right..he said yes and no - the flange should be tucked INSIDE the water pump and not sitting on the copper tubing.<br />Get a little screwdriver and work it down, then on top of that will be a guide tube for the copper...take that after you tuck the flange into the water pump and slide it onto the part that sticks out and up , which guids the copper tube properly into the water pump.<br /><br />Wala, works great. Had a hard time putting the gear shaft back into sprocket for some reason this time though - did this 10 times and never had a problem. Always something with me :( <br /><br />Started on the first pull, and peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees :) <br /><br />Runs a BIT rough (jerky and twitchy) on idle and no matter what I do with the idle screw it just goes into almost stalling so I guess it's the best it's going to get until maybe I replaced the plugs and get some gallons of full through it with seafoam :) <br /><br />S

groovy.dude

Cadet

I am having the same problem with my old 4.5 horse? I have ended up pulling the motor right off the entire things to look for blockages or other reasons why the waters isn''t circulating and haven't had much luck. I have a general question. With the Lower Unit off, if I blew air up the copper tubing and held my finger over the pee hole beside the motor, should this all be air tight? Right now it isn't.