Prospective owner needs some help!

and2ram

Seaman
Hi all,

First post here, and very excited to be purchasing a Starcraft in the next month or two!

Being from Minnesota there is no shortage of Starcrafts but so many need a complete restoration. I don?t mind spending a good chunk of change for a restored Holiday, SS, or Chieftan but I?m getting worried I will need to look for something newer. With a 2 month old baby I just don?t have the time for a full resto, plus we want to enjoy the boat! Do you suspect it will be easier to find a good boat at the end of the summer? Maybe the good ones are out on the water, getting used?
On a related note-Chieftan 18?s are very hard to find in good or bad shape. Anyone have a rough idea how many were built? It would be interesting to see production figures for all the Starcraft models but I suspect that would be difficult to come by. I suppose the order would be SS18, SS16, Holiday 18, Holiday 16, Islander 21/22, Holiday 22, Holiday 14?
Thanks for any advice you might have!

Andrew

barato2

Commander
Re: Prospective owner needs some help!

plus we want to enjoy the boat! Do you suspect it will be easier to find a good boat at the end of the summer? Maybe the good ones are out on the water, getting used?

Andrew--

welcome to the tinhorde. i see a disconnect here between those 2 statements as i suspect you want to use her this summer. watch the CL thread and be willing to drive as needed. get one with good transom and floors as those are the critical parts; you can live with beat up interior and yank bad seats and use $10 resin chairs from Lowes for this season.

or wait til a Starmadan wants to sell a boat to fund their next bout of MBS?

one final thought: maybe get a smaller boat, like a 14'er as those are lots easier to find with good wood (light enough to invert for storage is likely why) with a 6-25hp tiller motor. make some simple floorboards for it, and see how the family likes the idea before you drop more $ on a more involved boat? if you buy smart, you can always resell without too much loss as those never seem to depreciate.

and2ram

Seaman

i see a disconnect here between those 2 statements as i suspect you want to use her this summer.

I'm not bent out of shape about getting on the water this season, if it works great, if it doesn't, so be it. However I do want to get a boat this year so if it needs a few things I can have it ready to go for next year. I couldn't really live with a 14, we have a family cabin that's an hours boat ride on Rainy Lake and I've done that too many times in open Lunds and Boston Whalers. It's time for a bigger, more capable boat. I have been keeping an eye on the CL thread and will continue to do so, I think it's awesome you guys take the time to keep that going!

phdfishhead

Seaman Apprentice

I can relate to and2Ram. But the nice thing about restoring an older boat is that you know what you have when your done. Buying a used (albeit newer) boat that is so called "water ready," you'll always be wondering.

If only working in your spare time (evenings and weekends), its prolly gonna take you at least a few months (maybe 4-8, conservatively) to restore an SS or Holiday...longer for a cheiftain.

Another factor is cost. Though some have restored boats on the cheap, IMO most can plan to have approximately $5000-6000 into a nicely restored SS or Holiday with good older (gas-guzzling) motor and nice trailer. Even more if you repower with new(er) technology. Probably a bit more for a cheiftain.

In restoring anything, the restoration process must be part of the experience...which you pay for in time and money. You also need to have an appreciation for older boats (i.e., nastolgia). If you don't have time to enjoy restoring a boat, you'll be happier simply buying a newer boat that is ready to go.

As for me...I bought a newer boat from a family member (known history) to get us out on the water. I'm also searching for a resto project that I can do at my own pace, without the pressures of needing to use it right away. I want to resto an 18' SS just exactly like the one I grew up with.

I've got my eyes on a couple SS's. One is in pretty good shape (relatively original condition), and could likely be used for a season or two before a resto is needed. Unfortunately, the owner knows that also...thus his price is a bit too high for me right now. I'm just waiting until his price comes down in the fall. But, for someone like you who wants to use it right away, the price may be acceptable. LMK.

And yes, fall is the best time to purchase a boat. Owners that are on the fence to sell often don't want to deal with storing it if they upgrade in the spring...so they sell when demand is low.

barato2

Commander

that 16'er in Mason city is nice but i wonder abt "transom needs some work, nothing serious". Yeah, right....

likewise the boat in Omaha that had the floors replaced but apparently not the transom....smells of a cosmetic fix

if you're using boat to shuttle folks and gear to cabin, i'd go for an 18' or better hull....i like the one in rochester even if you will need to find a motor

Though some have restored boats on the cheap, IMO most can plan to have approximately $5000-6000 into a nicely restored SS or Holiday with good older (gas-guzzling) motor and nice trailer.
not sure this is really accurate. i'll only have maybe 3500-4000 in my holiday when done and that's counting major modifications and kitting it out for offshore duty. if i were building it for lake use, i could do it for <3000.

North Beach

Commander

that 16'er in Mason city is nice but i wonder abt "transom needs some work, nothing serious". Yeah, right....

likewise the boat in Omaha that had the floors replaced but apparently not the transom....smells of a cosmetic fix

if you're using boat to shuttle folks and gear to cabin, i'd go for an 18' or better hull....i like the one in rochester even if you will need to find a motor

Though some have restored boats on the cheap, IMO most can plan to have approximately $5000-6000 into a nicely restored SS or Holiday with good older (gas-guzzling) motor and nice trailer.
not sure this is really accurate. i'll only have maybe 3500-4000 in my holiday when done and that's counting major modifications and kitting it out for offshore duty. if i were building it for lake use, i could do it for <3000.

It's not hard to dump 5-6 k into an 18 footer or bigger boat. The cost adds up really quickly. There's the 3k approach and then there's no limit on the other end.

barato2

Commander

i wouldn't argue with you given that you've completed 100% more Starcraft restos than i have. it's certainly possible to drop that much or more. and i know my figure is skewed cuz i do everything myself. what would you estimate you have in the LL?

and2ram

Seaman

If only working in your spare time (evenings and weekends), its prolly gonna take you at least a few months (maybe 4-8, conservatively) to restore an SS or Holiday...longer for a cheiftain.

That's the problem, I just don't have that kind of time. Me and my wife both work full time, have an older house we do a lot of work on, and with the baby, eh time is precious. That being said I still find time to build a sailing canoe and take vacations, hmmmm.

I like the boat in Rochester, looks clean for $1K. I'd be willing to spend up to $4K for something more restored though. There are a couple things I forgot to mention in my first post. First, I'll be towing with our CX-9, 3500lb tow capacity and want to keep the boat, trailer, motor to around 2800lbs or less. That pretty much eliminates anything over 18ft, maybe an outboard powered Holiday 22 I suppose.

I've rebuilt transoms before, so I can appreciate the time involved there, is there anything particularly challenging with the Starcraft transoms?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I stopped counting when my resto project hit somewhere around 6 or 7k. Now that did include the purchase price of the boat ($1k) and I did drop a grand on my six. brand new seats.

North Beach

Commander

i wouldn't argue with you given that you've completed 100% more Starcraft restos than i have. it's certainly possible to drop that much or more. and i know my figure is skewed cuz i do everything myself. what would you estimate you have in the LL?

Same here B. I wasn't doubting your figures, I just have limited skills so some stuff had to be farmed out. but I did try to watch and learn as we went. I never tallyed it up at the time cause I was married :eek: at the time but with the mahogony, seating, electronics and new motors, etc, I can imagine well over 12k. But I now have a totally awesome boat.......

The other thing that folks really seem to keep overlooking is the cost and work associated with a 22 footer over say a 15 or 16 footer. Big difference....

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I am with EZ on this one. I am into mine over $4K at this point...and my engine is in pieces in the garage! I need to stop counting too...but those great times with the family out on the lake make it very worth the investment. I also really enjoy tinkering with the boat.

I do think that what the other are saying is true. You should be a able to find a solid boat in the $3-4K range.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, those are some high resto costs.

1979 SS18 with 115hp Merc Tower, old MinnKota, tandem trailer $1100
Sold:

2 huge captains chairs ($250)
Windlass anchor($75)
Tandem Trailer ($325)
MinnKota($50)

Net before resto $450
ADD:
Eagle trailer $225
Seats $200
Motorguide 24v $175
Carpet $200
Plywood $75
Paint $50
Decals/striping $50
Engine tune $150
Misc stuff $150
Electric upgrade $175

Into it $1900 and need to add a 2nd fish finder and a few other amenities, estimated total cost

$2500

Attachments

• 1023111543aweb.jpg
    1023111543aweb.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 1

64osby

Admiral

and - you mention the styles of boats you like, you don't mention outboard or I/O preference and you don't mention budget for a good boat or budget for a project + rebuild.

my .02 is you would be better off buying a boat that needs no or very little renovation (minor cosmetic). New born and summer is here.

The guys here do a fantastic job saving old Starcrafts. Lots of time, and a good chuck of money - results are boats that are better than new.

There are a few of us that have been fortunate or lucky enough to find splash ready boats, for a good deal. Huron Angle has one and so do I. Picked one up last July for $2,100 and took it vacation 2 day's later. Have had it out 10 times this year with no major or minor problems. I have worked on it (all boats need work) and made improvements for our use of the boat, but no work on the motor, hull, transom or floor, so far (knock on wood).

Here are a few that I would checkout.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/3043269339.html 18' Alum Starcraft Deep V Fish and Ski boat w/100 HP Mercury OB and galvanized trailer

I like that one

http://duluth.craigslist.org/boa/3059637435.html 1975 Starcraft Super Sport 18ft boat I/O

http://quadcities.craigslist.org/boa/3023966314.html 77 Starcraft bowrider 18 foot, 140 horse I.O

Good luck on finding your boat

phdfishhead

Seaman Apprentice

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/boa/3043269339.html 18' Alum Starcraft Deep V Fish and Ski boat w/100 HP Mercury OB and galvanized trailer

I can speak to the condition of this boat, for I have seen it in person.

Since the first of May, the price has been reduced $500. Other than the motor, it is in relatively original condition. The front seat cushions have been recovered. The floor and the seats have about a season or two left on them, before they fall apart due to rot. The trailer is spot-painted and hand brushed with silver paint...it is not galvanized. The motor sounds good. There is a fair amount of dock rash that's not evident in the pictures. The transom didn't look that bad, just a little decay near the floor, but I'd be planning to replace it in a year or so. The motor has only been on it a few years and has had little use since. It suposidly was professionally installed. If you have any other questions, let me know.

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, those are some high resto costs.

1979 SS18 with 115hp Merc Tower, old MinnKota, tandem trailer $1100
Sold:

2 huge captains chairs ($250)
Windlass anchor($75)
Tandem Trailer ($325)
MinnKota($50)

Net before resto $450
ADD:
Eagle trailer $225
Seats $200
Motorguide 24v $175
Carpet $200
Plywood $75
Paint $50
Decals/striping $50
Engine tune $150
Misc stuff $150
Electric upgrade $175

Into it $1900 and need to add a 2nd fish finder and a few other amenities, estimated total cost

$2500
I'd like to know where you get your plywood!

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to know where you get your plywood!

1/2" EXT grade, not marine nor treated

excess Gluvit, primer was the method

an 18' boat uses 4 sheets longnitudinal and a tad more was used for the casting and aft decks

those who choose 3/4" marine grade at a high cost do so at their discretion

I chose what I liked, treated it properly, and supported any needed spans using Aluminum bridging
with the stringers.

each person chooses to restore differently regarding materials, accessories, etc.

and2ram

Seaman

Whew, some of you have MONEY into your projects! Amazing looking boats though:) Question for your IO guys, would you buy IO again? I'd prefer one, but am curious on your thoughts.

barato2

Commander

1. where do you live? will need to winterize an I/O be an issue?

2. do you boat in salt water?

3. how much do you run your main motor during a day out? will fuel economy be an issue?

4. what kind of budget are you talking?