prospected boat purchase..everyone chime in!!!

filthy-oar

Cadet
FABULOUS DEAL! 1977 CARVER SANTA CRUZ 26' HEAVY DUTY CABIN CRUISER. PERFECT CONDITION.
ONLY 30 HRS/YR SINCE NEW. WELL MAINTAINED. IN WATER AT CANYON LAKE AND READY TO GO. SLIP
AVAILABLE. 270 HP I/O. TRIM TABS. SHORE POWER. ON BOARD BATTERY CHARGERS. DUAL HELM
STATIONS W/FLYING BRIDGE. FISH FINDER. COMPASS. ALL CUSTOM CANVAS. TONS OF ACCESSORIES
GO WITH BOAT. HEAVY DUTY TRAIL-RITE TANDEM AXLE TRAILER W/SURGE BRAKES REBUILT 2 YEARS
AGO. SLEEPS 2. AIR CONDITIONED. SEPARATE HEAD. RUNNING WATER. GALLEY KITCHEN. GREAT
CRUISING BOAT FOR ALMOST NO MONEY! CLEAR TITLE ON BOAT/TRAILER. DON'T DELAY. SELLING THIS
WEEK. FIRST $? TAKES IT.

Lets all guess the price. Looking at it tomorrow.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: prospected boat purchase..everyone chime in!!!

I would be very suspicious of a 32 year old boat with 30 hours on it.

scipper77

Commander

I believe that was 30 hours per year which works out to a little over 600 hours.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Don,t forget to take the rubber hammer with you:) I would be very suspicious of the add all cap letters he is screaming

filthy-oar

Cadet

Actually I talked to the guy and he was pretty helpful. It has about 900 hours on it. It is in original condition with all the proper maintenance. Obviously the transom, stringers, and hull need to be checked thoroughly. Are these hulls balsa cored? I am also going to do a compression check. What else should I do? We are going to use it as a camper on the weekend in a fresh water lake, probably will spend more time on the dock than racing around the 7 mile lake. I like the idea of the trailer even though it is another storage hassle. Are these typically good boats or one's to steer clear of?
Thanks

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Test drive it if you can

tashasdaddy

carver is an excellent boat, have a survey done. what is the drive train, and outdrive?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Don,t forget to take the rubber hammer with you:) I would be very suspicious of the add all cap letters he is screaming

Ummmm.... I did the hammer test on a boat a few weeks ago. I couldn't detect any change in the sound as I tapped all over the transom. A survey, however, using a moisture meter, showed a section of the transom that was completely saturated while the rest of it was okay.

I wouldn't care if the boat was free. I would still have a professional survey done.

tashasdaddy

some people do not realize all caps is screaming, and very hard to read.

scipper77

Commander

some people do not realize all caps is screaming, and very hard to read.

I think a primer on proper typing etiquette would make a good sticky in the FAQ section. We are not all part of the instant messaging generation.

Cover things like all caps is screaming,
what things like lol, lmao, rotflmao, idk, etc... mean.
symbols also :p, <3, ...

I think this will help a lot of members out.

P.S. I apologize for going off topic on this thread.:cool:

mphy98

Lieutenant

Cover things like all caps is screaming,
what things like lol, lmao, rotflmao, idk, etc... mean.
symbols also , <3, ...

ok i have no idea what any of that means :confused: please advise

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat is 32 years old. Not old enough to be a classic and too old to have any intrinsic value. The value is strictly based on its condition and equipment. I agree that even if it is "free" you need to have a survey done. The cost of disposing of a boat that size, if it is found to be beyond repair, can be substantial and repair costs can be astronomical unless you are able/willing to do the work yourself. Let us know what your investigation turns up.

JB

Okay. 30hrs/yr.

Maybe some senior vision, some all caps post.

Whether it is a screaming deal or not depends on the survey and the price.

filthy-oar

Cadet

I don't think some people realize how annoying the all caps thing is. Every time I browse Craigslist I am amazed on the miss-spelled words, all caps, etc.
The boat has a small block chevy, not sure about the out drive. I am going up to the lake today to check the condition and I have a surveyor ready to look it over. I wonder if you can rent a moisture meter? I will update this afternoon. Thanks for all the advise

projecthog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would guess that if the boat is in good condition or better, with no major issues concerning the hull or drive, it should reasonably be worth at least $3000 US. or $4000 CDN.

With what was said about the transom possibly having a saturation problem, I would be careful to get a survey done.
The amount to pay a surveyor of vessels would be insignificant compared to the cost of having the transom redone or the headache you'll get doing it yourself, and with that survey you will also have some room for recourse if problems arise in a reasonably short time if you do end up buying the boat.

The other thing that I would be cautious about, is that if the transom does have a saturation problem, I would suspect that the immediate area under the engine could have issues as well, it could become costly very quickly if that were the case, as that whole area would need to be removed and restructured as well.

Good luck and I hope your good deal is excactly that!

PH.

KLINDWW

Seaman

Rubber Hammer? Sounding hammers that I have seen the fiberglass boys use was a small hammer with the yellow plastic ends. Most people use all caps because they are to lazy to hit the "shift" key.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Carver makes great boats.

Do you have any more info like TD asked about it?

The new boats are not balsa cored but I'm not sure about older ones.

Try asking them CarverYachts.com.

Cptkid570

Ensign

900 hours is a lot on that boat... however, a reman longblock isn't all that expensive for it if you can do the work yourself. I'd be concerned about it being underpowered and would want to test drive it.

What is the price? I'd guess about $5000

filthy-oar

Cadet

he wants $4500 with trailer. I haven't looked at it yet but I may move up to a larger boat wit a wider beam. Too many good deals out there.

bundick

Cadet

You are on your own with this one.

If you dont know what your looking at yourself, and dont have any experience with the engines/manifolds etc you have the option of paying an experienced Guy to look it over, or take it as it is and live with what you wind up with.

You need to run it for a half tank of fuel out of each tank. You buy the fuel, and use it all. Start and stop it several times as if your coming to a dock. Shift it in and out of fwd/rev as if your docking it.
Watch the oil n' water pressure. Check the bilge pumps, wipers, horn, head, watersupply, anchor winch/windlass, etc. Everything.
While your running it at high speed take a few tight turns and run over your own wake to simulate handling in rough water and make sure the outdrives lift n drop like they should.
PS: If you have mercruisers, dont run the engines with the outdrives all the way up.