Props, stainless vs aluminum

Bski

Seaman
Owned 3 boats in the last 20 years, never had a stainless steel prop cause I've always been worried about damaging the lower unit.<br /><br />Does anyone feel that a stainless prop gives that much better performance than an aluminum?<br /><br />Has anyone ever damaged a lower end because of a stainless not giving when they struck an object under water?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Props, stainless vs aluminum

the prop faq in the faq section talks about this in detail i happen to have a great abilty at hitting bottom but its mostly sand so a ss prop will hold up better when i am hitting rocks i like aluminum<br /><br />tommays

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Performance is about 5 mph better with stainless.<br /><br />They do not flex like aluminum at high rpm.<br /><br />I used to rebuild one or two aluminum props every year---$75 each time. Did that for 6 years before I purchased a stainless prop.<br /><br />No rebuilds since. Do the math.<br /><br />If you hit rock or a steel pipe or a concrete pier, it won't matter if you have aluminum or SS----you will spin a hub or do some major damage---depending on your speed at impact.<br /><br />I have three stainless props---one for speed, a Torque Shift to pull tubes and skiers, and the one that came with the boat as a spare.

Bondo

Staff member

I've Trashed Several drives using Aluminum Props....................... :D