Property tax rebate

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Just got my property tax rebate form in the mail. So I went online to file it. I should get back about $350. Not a lot when my taxes are $7000+, but something is better than nothing right? Now the kicker: I have to list it as income on my federal taxes next year. Well, there goes a big chunk of the rebate right out the window! <br /><br />Now I get it. The state gets money from the feds for rebates to give to me. Then I give some of it back to the feds the next year. If you include the cost of the state processing the rebates, and the feds handing out and collecting the tax money, they probably spent more than my entire rebate was worth. I wouldn't doubt it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Property tax rebate

Your taxes are more than my house is worth, almost.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I tell ya, I don't get much for my taxes.<br /><br />I don't get:<br /><br />Sidwalks<br />City Water<br />City Sewer<br />Street lights<br />Fire Department (We use the next town's)<br />Police Department (We have State Troopers)<br />Fire Hydrants<br />Garbage Pickup (I pay separate to the trash hauler)<br /><br />So what do my taxes go for (besides the schools)??? I really can't tell you. But I can tell you this: Two years ago I heard one of the town council members in the local bar talking about how they had to give back state money because they didn't use it all and that the budget would be reduced by that same amount the following year. I blew a cork right then and there and infront of everyone in the restaurant listed a number of things they could have spent the money on. I was angry and probably got loud but I did get his attention. One of the things I listed that they could have done with that money was street name signs "like normal towns have so people visiting can find the freeking streets we live on". The signs we had were hand painted plywood that long ago fell apart. The next year we had all brand new shiney aluminum street name signs on all the streets. See? It pays to ream out your town officials in front of their friends. :D And no, thats not why my taxes are so high, there the same as my neighbors.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Have you not already paid income tax on those dollars? I bet you have. That is barbaric.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

NYM,<br /><br />Actually not, because local taxes are deducted from federal taxables. So they weren't taxed last year and have to be reported as taxable income. Ya can't get away with anything anymore.

Twidget

Commander

I would like a rebate, but would prefer to not pay your rather large tax bill. <br /><br />Good work with the city official. :)