Proper way to paint trailer.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I recently purchased a 14'ft Starcraft Mariner 14' Aluminum boat with trailer. The trailer was brown from rust. I read around on the forums on how to paint it to stop rust on the vital parts of the trailer. Picked up a few cans of rubberized undercoating. Works like a charm. Forms a tough rubber shell around the axle, leaf springs, and mounts. It may not look the best but in 20 years we will see whose trailer is in the best shape mechanically. I am painting the rest of the trailer using the 3 step method. Prime, paint, & clear coat. Will post pics when I am done. Am anxious to get the boat on the water.

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Proper way to paint trailer.

Rustoleaum makes a primer for rusty metal. I just did my trailer with it amd it works great.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How are you dealing with the existing rust? Sandblasting? Grinding? Chemical removal?<br /><br />Hope you are not putting undercoating over rust....<br /><br />I prefer sandblasting; but, Eastwood's Corroless product is an excellent rust converter paint.

foxjohnc03

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sanding with 40 grit and then priming.

andy h

Seaman Apprentice

I've used the two above products, they are the way to go, If it were me I would go with the zerorust ;)