proper use of muffs

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I just purchased my first boat with a mid-70's Merc 85HP and I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of working on it at home versus in the water.<br /><br />My water inlet vents are sandwiched between two horizonal fins that do not allow my muffs to completely cover the vents. How big of problem is this? I haven't hooked up the hose yet but I'm sure that more will poor onto the ground that get in the engine.<br /><br />Are there other styles of muffs? Or is a steady hose stream pointed at the vents enough for a quick run just to see if it will go into gear without dying?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: proper use of muffs

dont try the hose stream trick, unless you like blowing things up. <br /><br />westmarine.com, boatersworld or even iboats.com(support this site please) or any marina for that matter, sells all kinds of muffs. <br /><br />they make rectangular ones that are skinny to fit in tight places.
item2706_1.jpg
fill a garbage can with water and put your motor in it.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
Re: proper use of muffs

Sweet, thanks.<br /><br />I have not seen these anywhere yet. I will order them from iboats. I have learned so much here in the last 4 days that although this is my first boat I feel confident that I could probably rebuild the engine entirely if I had to. <br /><br />I'm all for supporting the cause.<br /><br />Thanks for your prompt response.