Proper starting procedure for 88hp Johnson OB?

chrisross

Cadet
I have only used my 1990 88hp Johnson OB a couple times. I flooded my motor when trying to start it at the dock. I turn my key to start it while pressing down to choke it. I pushed down every time I tried to get it to turn over. (about 15 or so tries.) Did this flood my engine? Is it actually choking the motor or priming it with gas??<br />Question 2: What is the small red lever on top of the mechanism (maybe the choke or primer mech) that is mounted just above the air intake cover in front of the flywheel??<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Chris

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper starting procedure for 88hp Johnson OB?

Pressurize the fuel system with the primer bulb. Advance the throttle or warm up lever slightly. Turn the key to the ON position (do not engage the starter). Push the key in. Count to 8 (the count may change with experience). While holding the key in, turn the key to the START position. Release the key when the engine starts. You may have to bump the primer a few times til the engine warms up. Let it warm up at around 1200 RPM. <br />The red lever on the primer solenoid is so you can activate the primer manually. If the motor flooded, make sure the red lever is in the manual off position (works only from the key switch).