Proper Shfting Technique

huntandhook

Seaman
I was reading some old posts about people wearing the clutch dog out because they did not shift the motor properly. It was recomended that you shift the motor quickly from neutral to forward. My question is- Is it okay to shift directly from reverse to forward or vice versa without stopping in neutral? My '79 Johnson has seperate throttle and shift levers, so when I am pulling in to the dock i leave the throttle low and shift back and forth as needed. Is it hard on the clutch dog to shift like this? Should I pause in neutral before I shift? Any advice would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,P

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Proper Shfting Technique

Yes, you should pause in neutral. If you dont have time to pause, youre coming in too hot anyway. Obviously in an emergency you have to do what you have to do to get stopped.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Well, let's see, changing direction of a mass the combined weight of the prop, gears, and shaft in a millisecond? You betcha you can do some damage!

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What engine are you talking about? What size 79 with two lever's?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

If the engine is running at the correct idle speed, and water, being the barrier that it is, going from one gear to another should have very little effect.<br /><br /><br />.

huntandhook

Seaman

RJohnson, so you mean it won't hurt anything if I shift from forward to reverse as long as the rpms are low enough? I only shift when I am at idle speed, and I have never heard any clunking or grinding when going from forward to reverse or back. I usually don't pause in neutral because neutral can be tricky to find, its usually easier to go directly from one gear to the other.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I really can't see a problem with your method. That prop will come to a stop as soon as torgue is removed at idle RPM. Stopping to rest a second, should not make a difference

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer

The killer for a clutch dog is rubbing it into forward and rubbing it back into reverse. <br /><br />Shift quickly at all times, and of course at idle. dont think you can shift it at high idle for that matter.<br /><br />Good luck!

huntandhook

Seaman

Thanks for the advice everyone. I had to turn the clutch dog around because it was worn on the one side, so its gonna have to be replaced eventually. But at least now I know I'm shifting properly so at least I won't damage it any more than it already is.