Propeller timing for dual props

Good Sport

Cadet
A guy at the marina yesterday said he only allows a trained tech to remove his Merc dual props because they need to be properly "timed" when re-installed to minimize vibration.<br /><br />I have '98 Volvo 5.0GI duo-prop and have never heard of such a thing. Evertime I have seen props installed, they are just shoved on wherever they happen to be in relation to each other.<br /><br />Is this guy's dealer messing with him or is this a valid concern?

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Propeller timing for dual props

sounds legit... but.... Does this guy install muffler bearings? What about radiator caps on a 1967 VW bug?

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

You should pull the props a couple of time a season just to see if anything, like fishing line, has wrapped around the shaft. Fishing line can get into and mess up the seals. I haven't ever seen anyone worring about how the props went on. Just make sure you grease the shaft when you put the prop back on.

Juancho

Seaman

I hate it when those pesky muffler bearing go out, and I just had to change teh radiator cap on my '71 VW Westy the other day.

magster65

Commander

Muffler bearings? At least they're easy to get at! I busted a piston return spring the other day, now that was a drag!

Good Sport

Cadet

Speaking of props, Magster, one of yours is turning backwards. I like the counter-rotation, though.

Good Sport

Cadet

Well, I appreciate your replys - both humourous and otherwise. But if anyone has a definative answer, I would sure like to know.

jlshields

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to Mercruiser's Repair Manual, there's no such thing as timing B3 props. I'd find another 'Marina Guy'.

Good Sport

Cadet

That's what I thought. As I visiualize the props counter-rotating, they pass each other at every possible angle no matter what.<br /><br />Thank You.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

The "Guy at the Marina" must be the same one P.T Barnum was talking about. I bet he also bought a high-voltage dip stick, :D Wow, where are these guys when my mortgage is due? ;)