Propeller installation

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My 1990 115ETLD came with a 21" prop with one of those centres designed to protect lower end by breaking away if you hit something.<br />I bought a Yamaha factory 19" prop. When I went to put it on, it didn't slide all the way into the lower end housing and I was missing a spacer between the prop and the nut and washer on the end of the spindle. I bought the spacer and it is grooved to fit the splines of the spindle, but there is no room left on the spindle for the splines to engage with the spacer. At the housing end there is a three step spacer that is keeping the prop from going all the way into the housing. If I take this spacer off, the prop fits properly and there is now room for the new spacer after the washer and nut.<br />According to the Yamaha web site though, I am supposed to use both spacers.<br />What should I do?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Propeller installation

ok<br /> the correct yamaha thrust washer goes on first, then the propellor then the thick splined washer then the small thin washer then the nut. lastly the cotter pin to retain the nut. the attaching hardware for the merc type aftermaket props wont work with the factory stuff. the engine was originally shipped with the correct attaching hardware.<br /> if you leave off the fwd thrust washer gearcase destruction is assured.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you rodbolt, I never considered that the<br />forward thrush washer would be different. Explains why I couldn't get it to fit.<br />More time, more money ... I just love boats.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

your going to be amazed at the cost of the yamaha thrust washer I fear.<br /> Break<br /> Out<br /> Another <br /> Thousand<br /> :)

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first one cost me $20.00Cdn, am I looking at that much more?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi rodbolt, another question I thought of. In your vast experience with Yamaha motors, what prop size should I be using? I use the boat to mostly fish but some skiing and tubing. The reason I ask is, if I should be using a 17" prop, then maybe I should buy a Merc prop instead of the spacer for the 19" Yamaha prop. What do you think?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

beats me<br /> use the one that will allow the motor to turn at least 5500 with a medium load.<br /> I think the last thrust washer I bought was about 80 dollars. they are not cheap. but I could be mistaken.<br /> the kit you have with the interchangable hub works ok if the pitch is correct to allow the correct engine RPM range. just be sure to use the correct prop nut torque with the plasic hub kit or they have a tendancy to break all by themselvles.