Propeller Guard....any experience with?

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have been thinking of putting on one of these guards for running up our local salmon fishing river which is boulder and rock strewn; of course all the good spots are hard to get to! I would like to hear some input from anybody that has used them or has another design that works. I have a 14` open fiberglass skiff and tiller operated DT 30 hp Suzuki. The river has rapids about 12 mile per hour in places . Thanks
MWSnap768.jpg

D

DJ

Re: Propeller Guard....any experience with?

We've had ten years of experience with: Mac's: "River Runner" prop guards. They only protect the skeg and lower prop., not the whole prop.

Our prop. replacement costs have gone from astronomical to ZERO in the past ten years.

I have not really seen any issues with performance. Yet, the two RR's we have installed are on pontoons, less than 30 MPH.

I would direct you to the iboats store but they don't carry them.

See link below.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boat...9&WT.z_mc_id1=86783801&WTz_l=PPC;cat104517180

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the referral, I looked on the link. It looks very simple to fabricated out of heavy aluminum and a mig welder. I have a friend with a shop and might save the cash and get him to fab one up for me ! Good fishing !!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The only problem I see with it is it protects the prop but not the front of the lower unit so you woud still ahve to watch that, I have no personnal experiance with them.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If I remember correctly OMC did some R&D and testing on them several years ago. They cut efficiency by a lot, so they abandoned the idea. That was before the jet boat rage...

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

I have tried a simular prop gaurd, As soon as I got out on the river it got caught on a log and about ripped the transom open, bent the circle ring all to hec and back. So then I got a river runner

81022_L1.jpg

I must say add I haven't hit a rock with the River Runner while at full blast plane, but I have clipped many a log, with no problem.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the referral, I looked on the link. It looks very simple to fabricated out of heavy aluminum and a mig welder. I have a friend with a shop and might save the cash and get him to fab one up for me ! Good fishing !!!

I think mine is made out of SS