Prop won't move

So I changed the prop, wow what a difference, ran amazing....for about five minutes, then all of a sudden the motor just revved out and I stopped moving. Thought maybe we didn't tighten the prop and something got screwed up or lost the prop lol. But now it won't move, got towed in and can't figure out the problem, there is a bolt size hole in the back of the transom that goes through the outboard part, not sure what its called, letting water in. Also.....now when I start it and try and put it in gear it just dies. the prop doesn't spin but when its off and in gear it clicks when turned one way and then stops when I turn it the other so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone can help

1985 Chaparral Villain 2 5.7 350 mercruiser alpha one

Re: Prop won't move

So I changed the prop, wow what a difference, ran amazing....for about five minutes, then all of a sudden the motor just revved out and I stopped moving. Thought maybe we didn't tighten the prop and something got screwed up or lost the prop lol. But now it won't move, got towed in and can't figure out the problem, there is a bolt size hole in the back of the transom that goes through the outboard part, not sure what its called, letting water in. Also.....now when I start it and try and put it in gear it just dies. the prop doesn't spin but when its off and in gear it clicks when turned one way and then stops when I turn it the other so I'm not sure what the issue is. Anyone can help

1985 Chaparral Villain 2 5.7 350 mercruiser alpha one

A picture of the hole will help explain what and where you are seeing.

Not sure about the drive issue but doesn't sound good.

Sounds like it's locked up somehow.

Did you hit anything or run anything over in the water?

Was the drive full and without water in gear lube?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Anyone know maybe why it would shut off when I put it in gear now?

Howdy,

Your Alpha shift mechanism has an ignition "shift interrupt" switch.

Since you indicated that it:
all of a sudden the motor just revved out and I stopped moving.
It appears that your shift linkage adjustment might be the culprit.

OR....... something broke in the drive that is causing an inordinate amount force to shift the clutch-dogs now......activating the shift interrupt (which is normally for coming out of gear)

Thanks for the help thus far everyone...I'm thinking of just replacing the whole outdrive as I found one fairly cheap that's rebuilt with five hours on it.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for the help thus far everyone...I'm thinking of just replacing the whole outdrive as I found one fairly cheap that's rebuilt with five hours on it.

Ayuh,.... Or pull yer's off, 'n bench test it...

I picked up a fully rebuilt outdrive with everything from the boat back, I figured I might as well change it the whole thing for the price(850). My gimbal bearing and steering pin needed to be replaced anyways. I'm going to start researching now on how difficult this project is going to be. Added the outdrive comes with a 5 fin prop, kinda curious to try that baby out!

Bondo

Staff member

I'm going to start researching now on how difficult this project is going to be.

Ayuh,... Pretty simple, Really...

Pull the drive, then the motor,...
After that, you can pull the transom assembly...

Reassembly is the reverse order of course, 'n you'll need to realign after the transom, 'n motor are hung...

Pull the motor? Theres no way to change it without pulling the motor, seems to be enough room to do it all without pulling the motor, I'm not saying your wrong but thats going to be a huge pain in the....for me