PROP WOBBLES...OMC 3.0 Cobra outdrive

njboatman

Cadet
I have a 1988 bayliner capri with the OMC 3.0 with the Cobra Outdrive. it isnt running at the moment due to a bad starter but i spun the prop while i was working on the boat and it wobbles while spinning.

what can i do to check what exactly it is?

i looked at an entire rebuilt or new lower and i was looking at $800 plus! and that was just the guts

any and all help would be appreciated. thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: PROP WOBBLES...OMC 3.0 Cobra outdrive

what can i do to check what exactly it is?

Ayuh,.... Pull the prop, 'n see if it's the prop, or propshaft....
And,... How much it's out of line....

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If the prop shaft is bent you can also have it strightened rather than buy new.

njboatman

Cadet

well thanks for the help! ill get a chance sometime this week to take the prop nut and the prop off and see if i can pull the prop shaft and check to see if it is bent and how much!

can i take it to a marine supply store who has a shop and see if they can straighten it out?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You should not have to pull the prop shaft to see if it is bent. There are ways of doing it after you get the prop off right on the outdrive. I've done it with a big screw driver held tightly on the anti-ventilation and then rotating the prop shaft to check run out. If memory serves, you should have no more than .010 " run out but I may be wrong.

njboatman

Cadet

Thanks for the help again! i called a marina and they said they can straighten the prop shaft right in the outdrive for $75! In the meantime, may as well have them change the fluids in the engine and the outdrive!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Was the prop shaft bent ?

etracer68

Ensign

A prop shaft should be taken out to be straightend, it should be under .005 if you want the bearings to last. I personally would be putting a new one in, if it is bent.

Last edited:

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

I have to start off by saying that I am the king of cheapo boats. My budget is $1000 for purchase, repair, register, and get on the water. I have a standing rule that there needs to be good gas in the tank! So anyway, I digress-I had a little mercruiser 4 cyl that simply would not die-it ran hard and well for my family for 2 long seasons. Anyway, when I bought it for $600.00 with a full tank of gas, I got it out on the water and felt the wobble in the wheel, which I confirmed visually later in my drive. I priced out a propshaft and found the $800 tag out of my comfort zone. I got a big galvanized pipe (a 2" one) and a dial indicator. I put a wooden 4X4 under the skag and turned the shaft till it was bent up. I then put the pipe on the shaft and bent it back-it took me 3 bends but I got it within tolerance.

Reinell-BRXL-191

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have done the "bend it back" myself once too... it's not really hard to do.. of course, I was also told that putting that type of pressure on a prop shaft without the rear of it being supported can and will break more expensive stuff

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

my last boat was a 1983 galaxie that I paid $600 for and my current ride is a 1989 bayliner 5.0 that I bought for $800. I do have a friend who has a fully optioned searay that he paid over $30k for. He would have his shaft professionally serviced. The beauty of a beater boat (if you are handy) is that I do not worry about running it ashore, or getting a little rub rail damage-We just have fun! I pay less for my boat in its entirety than he does on 2 months of payments. I do get poked fun at, but we still have fun! I named my last boat the polished turd, cause it looked like crap but ran great!

Rob the weekend warrior

Seaman Apprentice

oh, and my starter is acting up-how do you change the starter standing on your head while lining up what feels like 165lbs of starter with one hand and getting the bolt started with the other in a tight space complicated by carpal tunnel?!?argh!

njboatman

Cadet

Well I trashed the boat and i have the motor for sale. Thanks for everyone's help but it wasn't worth it for me to sink 3 grands into such an old boat!!