prop turns in neutral?

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All<br />Ive got a 71 johnson 60 hp hydro electric drive on my boat got the engine used but seems in good shape question I have is when ground running engine with water hose attached noticed prop turns while in neutral is this normal?. Im a first time boat owner and thought the prop stoped in neutral thanks:}

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Re: prop turns in neutral?

Most do spin in neutral, so I don't think it's an issue.

Laddies

Banned

Some props sort of feather them selfs when out of the water, does it shift into rev. alright?

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

prop probably turns in neutral but its just free wheeling, if its actually in gear there is a problem with shift system. put boat in water and start up is it in gear?

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Just about every outboard I've seen will do that on muffs. You can stop it with one finger, but will still rotate some in neutral. The gears/shafts inside still have a little friction and will make it spin.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The lower unit is electric shift. If it's engaged in forward when the selector is in neutral, then you have a problem with the steering diodes in the shift system, also knows as the 'dogs balls', because that exactly what they look like, I'm told.<br /><br />Chris.......

tomed01

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks All<br />Hopefully im just being paranoid ive put a lot of work rebuilding this boat !! Will put it in the water next weekend lets hope she floats...lol<br />Thanks Again.