Prop Stuck on the Shaft, Help!

jimfj

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,

Mercruiser 165 Pre Alpha drive.

In just doing some general fix ups of the motor/drive I have found that I can't remove the prop from the shaft. I have tried Wd-40 overnight soak, wood block and hammer from the back of the prop and heat from a propane torch.
Is there some kind of tool that one can use to remove the prop? Or any other ideas on the subject. I need to replace the water pump and I believe the prop must come off---Right?

Help, as always is appreciated.

Jim

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop Stuck on the Shaft, Help!

Try something other than WD40. It is one of the greatest hoaxes ever perpetrated on modern man. It was never intended to be anything more than a water displacement chemical (hence WD) it has virtually zero penetrating qualities.

That being said, props are supposed to be removed regularly and the shaft greeeeeazed. I have heard of cases where the prop has to be destroyed to get it off. Heat is not good because of the rubber hub.

Once again, try some liquid wrench, or equiv, and keep at it with the wood block and hammer. If that does not do it, you might have to cut it off the shaft.

ps, when you beat on it, do it in both directions. Any movement, in either direction, is a good start to getting it to come off. Be sure to do a regular regime of beating(in both directions) and penetrant application. It may take some time, but time and vibration are your friends.

IMHO opinion, any kind of puller would be of limited value, 'cause you would only be tugging on the outer prop casing, not the inner hub that is glued to the prop shaft.

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahhh what you need is PB Blaster !!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What Boomie said.....
I would use Aero-Kroil......;)

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There is a product that works ubeleivable called INFORCE penetrating lube. I have used it on rusted exhuast manifolds by spraying on and let soak overnight. The nuts damn neer backed themselves off. Check with your local car shop to find some. It is about $15-$20 a can but worth it.:)

Coors

Captain

Ahhh what you need is PB Blaster !! what free said, is good stuff.

freelunch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, and a can of PB Blaster is only 4 dollars !!