Prop shaft possible bend

Spec

Recruit
Nice board you guys have here! Here goes... I recently hit a submerged stump at a very low RPM with my 90 hp merc ob. After inspecting the prop, I notice only a small misformation in one of the blades of the (aluminum) prop and I am able to feely spin the prop with my finger. However, I notice that at one spot in the prop rotation, the circular part of the prop (that actually fits within the motor) just slightly rubs the housing around it. Does this rubbing indicate a bent prop shaft. I realize any bend in the shaft is bad, but is there an acceptable tolerance?<br /><br />This is a brand new (1 month old) motor so I don't want to let a small problem grow.<br /><br />Any advice would be great.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop shaft possible bend

Sounds like the prop has moved on the rubber hub. That's what's supposed to happen. The rubber hub will protect the lower unit. Take the prop off and spin the shaft. rehubbing the prop will most like ly fix it.<br /><br />Good luck!

pinkmouse

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Prop shaft possible bend

you might get lucky and the prop is a newer merc prop which has a easier to replace plastic hub.this can be done by you.also,this is why it is good to have a spare prop