Prop selection follow up.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A few months back I asked for input on a new prop for my 16' Sylvan Sport Select with a 112 Johnson SPL. I received alot of input for which I was grateful. I just thought I'd give a follow up with what I got and how it performs.

I ended up getting a Turning Point 15 pitch 4 bladed prop. This was down from the 17" Comp Prop I was running.

I also ended up adding a pair of Nauticus Smart tabs; which I run on the #4 slot.

In short, I ended up veering my boat more towards the water tractor trend. I originally wanted a prop that would make my boat faster and harder to overspeed. However, as this summer I found myself towing my son and his buddies on tubes quite a bit more, hole shot became more important to me. I also wanted to see if the trim tabs would help out with porpoising as the way the boat is built most of the weight tends to sit in the back 1/3 of the hull (that's just where storage for people and equipment is).

It works pretty well. The prop itself helps hole shot. It's a ventilated prop, and one thing I noticed was that if I have the vents open I have to open up the throttle just a bit more slowly because the engine will bog a bit otherwise. Close the holes and I can gun it quickly. I figure maybe the old Johnson doesn't like the decrease in backpressure, but that's just a guess.

My top end is down 2 mph or so, but the hole shot is magnificent. When I added the trim tabs it got even better and bow rise is almost non existent. I no longer have to trim the motor down so much towing or just for a loaded hole shot. Gas mileage is about the same, maybe a touch worse.

Porpoising is reduced.... but that's it. I can get rid of it if I stick as many people up front as possible.

One thing I'd like to note is that Turning Point was AWESOME to work with. I originally got a 19 pitch and it was too much. Their customer support said just return the prop, and so long as it isn't damaged or the paint chipped they'll replace it. I cannot recommend them enough. The fear of dropping money on a prop that didn't work really held me back a few years. I'm looking for a new boat now (in addition to mine) and if I need a new prop they'll be my go to.

Thanks!

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for posting a follow up. Super glad you had a good experience re-propping. I'm surprised the smart tabs didn't reduce more of the porpoising. What happens when you go to hole #5?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thank you sir for the feedback. Helps folks trying to SWAG answers for folks in need.

Your comment: "It's a ventilated prop, and one thing I noticed was that if I have the vents open I have to open up the throttle just a bit more slowly because the engine will bog a bit otherwise. Close the holes and I can gun it quickly."

The problem is that the 15" pitch doesn't move enough water fast enough past the holes (ports) to have the right ratio of exhaust gas to fresh water for approximately a 1k RPM increase (over no/closed hole performance) in the initial hole shot. You proved that when you said you closed the holes. Is TP currently offering plugs, or how did you actually "close the holes"?

If you plugged the existing holes with something you decided will work when you ran your "closed hole" test then I can tell you what I did with one of my TP alum props:

I took a suitable "Fine" thread tap and tapped threads into the hub reason being I wanted to ensure the filler would remain in place over what a smooth hole would offer. Then cleaned (removing the cutting oil primarily) and sanded off the paint in the hole and adjacent area for good adhesion. Then mixed up JB weld and with a piece of tape on the inside of the barrel, packed the holes from the outside. After curing I took a 5/16" drill and drilled each hole in the center trying to keep each hole identical.

Water testing proved that the reduction from OEM diameter to 5/16" was the right combination to get the correct RPM increase, in the hole, when Firewalling the throttle.

If you do such and find that 5/16" isn't enough RPM increase, 1/32" of diameter at a time (remembering the "area' of the hole is PixR exp. 2, with Pi being 22/7 and exp.2 being "squaring of the radius R", enlarge the holes till you are satisfied with the results. Then play with your Smart Tab slots, like Stinnet21 mentioned for your desired bow height positioning.

Assuming your comp prop was 3 blade and the TP is 4 blade and cupped blade tips, decreasing 2" in pitch, plus adding the Smart Tabs forcing more of the boat in the water, and only loosing 2 MPH or so speaks well of the TP performance. Don't blame the engine necessarily. (opinion)