Prop seal...wasted? (Photo intensive thread)

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
To continue the drama with my 68 Evinrude 55HP electric shift, I noticed a trail of oily substance running down the back side of the skeg, just under the prop, after running it yesterday. Also, there was quite the gunky substance sitting right inside the prop. Am I looking at a bad prop seal? <br /><br />I pulled the prop and found this: <br />
LarsonProp5.jpg
<br /> <br />Behind the first washer was this: <br /><br />
LarsonProp6.jpg
<br /><br />More photos of the area<br />
LarsonProp10.jpg
<br /><br />
LarsonProp9.jpg
<br /><br />After a little cleanup. <br /><br />
LarsonProp8.jpg

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Prop seal...wasted? (Photo intensive thread)

Thats hard to tell. It MAY just be unburnt oil from the exhaust. The better way to tell if the seal is going is to check the lube inside the gearcase for water intrusion. If the water's getting in, then the oil is getting out.<br /><br />Also could be good idea to grease the splines of your prop shaft. Looks like you had a bit of fun getting the prop off.

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Actually getting the prop off wasn't bad, but the shaft will be greased before I re-install it. <br /><br />There was definitely water in the oil when I pulled it out of the water a while ago, and it hasnt been in the water since. I have changed the oil, the fill and drain plug washers, and re-sealed the electric shift cover of the gearcase and ran it, but not in the water. I guess once I fix the shifting issue I'll take it out on the water and run it, then check again for intrusion...I wish I had the tools to pressure test it.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by WardenJ:<br /> ...and re-sealed the electric shift cover of the gearcase and ran it, but not in the water....
Not dry???

DHPMARINE

Captain

Check the color of the fluid in the gearcase.If it matches what is comming out the exhaust,maybe. If the gearoil is still clean,no,it's not leaking out the propshaft.<br /><br />DHP

fireship1

Chief Petty Officer

Take a pinch of that residue in your fingers and smell it. If it smells like the fresh scent of two stroke exhaust it is just unburnt oil. I thought I had the same problem when I first purchased my used Evinrude 48 SPL. It was the first outboard I ever owned. I've learned quite a bit since then. ;)