Prop removal

fastwater

Seaman Apprentice
I am trying to change the prop seal on my merc,but I am having trouble removing the prop,seems to be seized on.<br />Any suggestions on how to remove a stuck prop?

Wiggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop removal

Have you got the prop nut off? Otherwise I've heard of others using heat on the prop shaft to break the rust or I have used rust spray and wait for that to sink in.<br /><br />Try doing a search for other related topics....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop removal

Problem with heat is the slip clutch in the hub; plus the shaft seal going into the lower unit. On old farm equip, lots of times heat is the only way you can get things apart.....but you don't have seals to contend with......usually.<br /><br />I use Kroil (have a www site) and there are others just as good I guess. There is a Monkey something or other out there.<br /><br />Might make up a puller using a combination of a normal puller and a chain wrapped around the prop blades. Pur her on and tighten it up as tight as seems reasonable. Then douse it good with a good penetrating oil like Kroil and let her sit. Couple of times a day turn it around (to get even distribution), squirt it some more and see if you can pick up any slack in the puller. May take a week, but that's what I'd do.<br /><br />Next time grease the prop shaft, or if you already do, take your prop off once a season and inspect for fish line wrapped around the shaft....that could cut your shaft seal....then while it's off, grease her up.<br /><br />Mark