Prop removal durring impeller repair

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just starting to change the impellor on a '67 Merc 95hp. In reading the manual, one of the first things they say to do after draining the oil, is to remove the prop. I'm not sure if this is a reverse thread and that mother is tight either way. is removing the prop a must or does it just make handeling the lower unit easier once it is off the motor??

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop removal durring impeller repair

yes , makes it lighter to handle, also you need to remove it every once in awhile to grease the splines and check for fishing line/or stuff wrapped around the shaft ,,it will cut your propshaft seal,s out .<br />the nut is right handed , use a block of wood between the prop and cav plate .to hold prop while turning socket wrench.<br />after you get nut off, use same block of wood to dislodge the prop if stuck on shaft.<br />dont forget to remove the lockwasher/tabs around tne nut.

Bob H.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Taking the prop off is a good idea so that a dab of grease can be put on the splines. Removing the prop prevents damage to the prop. I pull he prop and duct tape some piping insulation on the LU shaft to prevent it from getting beat up in my garage.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you folks - will remove prop

Clams Canino

Commander

If that prop has been on there since 1967, it may never come off again. :D <br /><br />Try to remove it to grease the splines.... but if it's truly married to the shaft, don't let that stop you from doing the impeller change.<br /><br />-W

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that is why I suggested the block of wood ,to knock off prop, but there is a "puller hole" in the propshaft ..

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Prop came right off today - knowing it was a right hand thread was handy. NOT quite as handy as realizing I was a dumbA$$ and had left the locking tabs down. Lifted them and spun the nut off no problem. Everything looked good, lubed her up and put prop back on.

heybaylor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Molsenice<br />when you put prop back on ,,make sure the locking tabber is in good shape ..replace if not ..<br />also when you put the nut back on .<br />MAKE SURE the tab rotates with the nut.<br />you keep tab and nut together while tightening nut ..<br />line up slot's on prop spacer , and bend in to lock..<br /><br />If you spin nut in tab , it will round out the flat side's ,and render the tab useless..<br /><br />some folks have lost props because of this mistake.<br />hope this helps

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the heads up - after forgetting about the tabs initialy I made sure to pay attention to them when putting back together.