Prop Question

Sooner44

Seaman
2005 3.0L Volva/Penta 17.5 ft Glastron:<br /><br />Put the boat in the water for the first time, with the new prop. My old (original) prop was a 14 1/4 X 21 Volvo, I installed a 14 X 21 SS MW Appollo XHS. One thing I noticed different from the Aluminum prop was that the new SS prop seemed to cavitate earlier when trimming up once planned out. My aluminum prop would run 1/2 way on the trim guage with no problem, this new SS prop wants to cavitate between the 1/4 & 1/2 mark on the guage. I'm not sure if I'm trimming too soon, or there is that much difference in these two props. Can you cause cavitation trimming up too soon, when planing out ???? SS prop have more bite ????<br /><br />Any advice on this issue would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Prop Question

Yes a SS prop has more bite, they don't flex like the aluminum ones. And yes you are probably trimming out too soon. Play with it a liitle and see how it works. Are you still getting the propper wide open throttle rpm?

Sooner44

Seaman

Yes, seems to be the same. 4400 RPM @ 42-44 MPH.<br />I may have lost 100 RPM, but nothing noticable.<br />Is it normal to feel a difference in Al prop vs the SS ? It seems like the boat comes to plane stronger. I usually start trimming once the bow comes down. Seems like now I have to trim a little slower as I plane out. I have never owned a SS prop.

ramster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is the Apollo a four blade? I have compared 3 and 4 blades and find that I can't trim up as much with the 4 blade, and it will cavitate a little more in hard turns, but I like the 4 blade better all around.

vipzach

Lieutenant

Yes you could feel the difference in the two props because the SS isn't flexing while you accelerate, like the al prop would.

$$brucemac$$

Cadet

hey so what type of improvement did you see?<br /><br />just hole shot?<br /><br />did you buy the same pitch you had before? or did you drop down?