Prop question for DHadley

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
DHadley,<br /><br />How much slip should I expect out of a michigan ss cupped prop. 13 1/4 x 17<br /><br />Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop question for DHadley

Depends on the given hull & set up but we look for something around 12% or so on a recreational rig.

misterguru

Seaman

Hi DH, I don't want to invade this guy's thread, but I have a prop question for you.<br /><br />I have a 40hp Mercury 1977 402(I know its the wrong engine type for the forum, but you sure helped me fix my buddy's Evinrude carbs! Thanks again!). My 40hp is on a VERY heavy little fishing boat... lots of plywood, carpet and my fat butt.<br /><br />It has a factory 13p x 10.75" 3 blade prop (part 48-56236A1 13R) and only runs 19 mph at WOT at 4200 RPM and drops to 3900 RPM with my wife and daughter added.<br /><br />A month ago I thought I had researched this enough and bought a 4 blade Michigan Vortex 10p x 12 from iboats.com Well I dropped 100 RPM, just the opposite of what I thought would happen. I thought 13p to 10p = 600 RPM increase? But 4 blades... design? I dunno!<br /><br />I assume I need to go with the lowest pitch available... it's probably too much weight for the motor, but I am thinking the closer I can get the engine to the 5000-5500 rpm range it will be stronger, more efficient, etc.<br /><br />I see the Hustler 8p x 12.5 is just $70 on sale.<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

martinphantom

Seaman Apprentice

But you increased the size from 10.75 to 12-this takes more power to turn. Keeping the same diameter would have been better. Also changing from a 3 blade to a 4 blade was a wrong choice-takes more ummph to turn. Just my opinion.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A 4 blade will, generally, rquire more height (X dimension). Where is the AV (cavitation) plate now in relation to the bottom of the hull?

misterguru

Seaman

Ahhh... well I have a Tiger Shark hydrofoil on there too... that may have affected the 10p 4 blade performance.<br /><br />I should have mentioned that DETAIL, eh? :)<br /><br />A friend just loaned me a 12p factory prop with a couple of gravel scars on it... the belt sander says, "Hello."<br /><br />I will try it.... anyone have a 10p 2 blade around?<br /><br />Thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Any kind of a tail will hurt if the motor is too low. <br /><br />Wheres the AV plate????

misterguru

Seaman

I can't answer DH: I will take a measurement this weekend.<br /><br />I do know it pitches a small rooster tail up about 12-18" I will take the hydrofoil off and see if the performance is better.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Everything youve mentioned indicates the motor is too low. Consider raising it. That will reduce drag and allow for better efficiency.

misterguru

Seaman

OK DH!<br /><br />I suppose I will try 1" increments? I can probably go up to 3" without getting "out of bounds"