prop question for 500 EL thunderbolt 4cyl

flatcat77

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 500 merc i'm getting ready to do a prop swap on. its on a 1648 16.5x72"at floor. it weighs about 500lbs without the motor on it. i'm thinking i should be able to push a pretty big prop with my hull considering its weight and my motor having enough power to get it up on plane fast still. the prop i have is the stock 1975 prop. 3 blade...... well 2 1/2 blades. i'm not even gonna go run it with that on there. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thank you. Matt

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: prop question for 500 EL thunderbolt 4cyl

Hi,

Merc never had a stock prop that came with the engine. It was the Dealers responsibility to put the correct pitch prop on to allow the RPM to be in the 4800-5500 range. So the best way to achieve that is with a tach and a couple of props. I used to have a 50 on a T14XL that weighed in about the same as your FB. I ran a 13" but could turn a 15" I would check the pitch on the prop the rig came with and start there.

btw, my engine was several yrs older than yours. Yours will have a little more power than mine did.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There should be a number on the barrel or under the prop nut.
I would start with the same size. Then get new rpm and speed figures.

hwsiii

Commander

Flatcat, you have not given anybody enough information to help you with your problem. They need more information.

H