Prop Pitch, to much?

etbill52

Seaman
I took a SS prop to repair shop to day to have some work done on it.
The guy looked at the prop he said it had a lot of pitch, he guest about 23p
I didn't know the size of it since I took it off the motor when I got it, prop was out of balance. Anyway is this to much pitch for a 100hp mercury?
The one I have on the motor now only have 2 blades, the one in the shop has 3.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: Prop Pitch, to much?

Any thing is useless until you get a Tach hooked up and give the WOT R's, tell us the boat, hull type, weight, etc.

etbill52

Seaman

Any thing is useless until you get a Tach hooked up and give the WOT R's, tell us the boat, hull type, weight, etc.

It is a 1973 Larson (restored)
Weight: O/B 1350
B.I.A. Load capacity rating O/B 2490
Boltan Contour Tri-Hull
B.I.A. hoursepower rating O/B 170

The Tack Was not hooked up, I am working on it I have been reading on here where to hook the wires up at. The motor has been changed to a 1965 100 HP Mercury. Back in the 50's and 60's I could hook a tack up on auto's
but that was a long time ago. The motor sounds and run good, with the 2 blade prop I have on it now (Temp, until I go today and get the other one)
it only goes about 30 mph with 2 people on board.
Thanks for the reply.

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it does sound like too much - get the tach hooked up and try it, then you will know for sure.

Bob

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

He's "guessing"??? Or did he measure it (assuming there are no numbers)?

etbill52

Seaman

He was guessing, I'm going to pick it up today. I look at the manual I think i can check the pitch.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The manual won't say how to measure pitch. The prop shop has a tool for that. It only takes a second so let him do it. You'll need to know that anyway.

etbill52

Seaman

Went and got prop, if I had looked at it I would have knowed the pitch
Numbers on prop: 4866140A4 23p. And of course he said "know one use that size prop anymore". Every thing I get is like myself old and out dated. But some parts still works.
didn't get to post back last night, I pick up body's for a funeral home, had a long drive.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

No one uses 23's anymore huh? That's funny. 23's are one of our best selling props. 3 blade and 4. In fact I have a Private Label 23 4 blade on my flats boat.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

He guessed? Run, don't walk away and take it to a better prop shop!

etbill52

Seaman

No one uses 23's anymore huh? That's funny. 23's are one of our best selling props. 3 blade and 4. In fact I have a Private Label 23 4 blade on my flats boat.

And I thought I had a no good pick of medal, the prop is in good shape
son-in-law and I put the prop on yesterday, went to the lake. with the motor running wide open it only got up to 10 mph, (Tach is shot on the boat), the motor sounding like it was about 1/2 rpm's, we changed back to the old 2 blade prop that I had removed, 9 mph with it. Any way we think we may have found the problem. I am going back to posting in Mercury Troubleshooting.

Any way I thing all of you for your help, and Thank you for the info on the 23 pitch. This is a great forum, if I hadn't found it I wouldn't have every tried to work on a motor