Prop Pitch - recommended -vs- current

mannyq

Seaman
I have a Legacy 23 walkaround with twin 2000 J-115. Boat currently has Solas Titan 13 1/4 X 19 SS props. When I follow guide for props, they state 15 to 17 pitch for same size prop. Boat loaded with 2 passengers weighs about 4600 lbs. I haven't had the boat in the water since I bought it and it was not given a sea test during survey so I don't know the WOT characteristics although I was told it would be around 45 knots with current configuration. What if anything am i gaining or losing by having a more agressive prop?<br />Should I re-prop to lower pitch of leave things until spring time? Thanks.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Prop Pitch - recommended -vs- current

Props are always a compromise between hole shot and top end. The key is rpm at wot as it tells pretty acurately how your setup is matched.<br /><br />Within the stated rpm range at wot (for your motor), you can choose a picth that will allow it to run near the upper or lower range limit and have more/less of either hole shot or top end.<br /><br />These are basic rules. Feel free to get the Quicksilver booklet (free) from my homepage and check the prop calculator.<br /><br />I'd definately suggest you leave it alone until you can get the boat out and do some serious testing. Getting a new set of props without thorough testing and comparison would be plain cr@zy.