Prop Pitch for Yamaha 15 on Saturn SD365

jspringator

Chief Petty Officer
My Yamaha 15 2 stroke was shipped with an 11 pitch prop. On my last outing I replaced it with an 8 pitch. Made a huge difference in getting on plane and increased top speed. For some reason, the floor seemed more stable at the increased speed. I was going 17 mph with the 11 pitch prop. I left the GPS in the trailer for my final run, but I estimate about 22 mph.

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Prop Pitch for Yamaha 15 on Saturn SD365

I thought speed drops with less pitch? I just recently purchased a diff prop too for my 25hp (through Iboats I might add). Does the engine sound louder now at wide open? It should be at max rpm's with the 8 pitch.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

The motor was lugging before and now it's getting to run up to max RPM, that's a good thing! Yep, more speed is often the result in these cases. Running a motor that is lugging that badly is really hard on it. Good move changing it.. You probably gave your motor a few more years of life.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You should not play with prop pitch at eye sight, must install a tach and check if engine is reving at the proper working parameters specified by the factory, you can ruin your engine running a wrong prop at wot.

Happy Boating